PDA

View Full Version : Acceleration problems from rest / low speed

Phil F
03-14-2007, 04:05 PM
I'm getting juddering and misfiring down in the exhaust somewhere when I accelerate from rest / low speed. The car seems OK once I get past 2K revs. The plugs have been replaced but there has been no improvement. All filters have been replaced recently.

Any suggestions please?

Phil

632 Regal
03-14-2007, 04:49 PM
check the cap/rotor/plug wires?

Dave M
03-14-2007, 05:32 PM
Do you have a rougher than normal idle?

I just came inside from diagnosing a civic with identical issues (low speed hesitation, OK at higher revs). One of the plug wires boots at the plug end had some mechanical damage and was arcing.

Pull your coils/plug boots out and inspect the plug hole for pooled oil and the plug boot for damage. Not sure if this is recommended (I do it), but remove the nuts from the coils and remove each coil/boot one at a time to see if your idle changes. If pulling one doesn't bugger your idle, focus on that plug, boot, coil. If you notice damage to a boot, electical tape it and see if it improves.

Otherwise, check all the natural areas such as hoses and intake gasket for vacuum leaks, fuel pump pressure and power to the pump (may be intermitant as mine was a while back).

Good luck,

Dave

Phil F
03-15-2007, 01:27 PM
Sorry I should have mentioned it's an M50 engine so no rotor or cap as it's direct ignition. Will check leads and coils. Read elsewhere that misfiring in the exhaust is likley to be electrical rather than fuel supply so hopefully on the right track

Phil F
03-15-2007, 01:28 PM
Thanks for this advice, I will try it at the weekend.