PDA

View Full Version : Quick M60 Valve Cover Leak Question

Fetch
03-14-2007, 12:10 PM
Hey guys, I haven't posted in awhile, but I'm still around!

I was tinkering with my car yesterday and noticed I have a very small amount of oil pooling up by the spark plug coils.

See pictures below...
If this is all that has accumulated in over 5,000 miles (probably way longer), should I worry too much about anything?

It'll be easiest for me to do the job this summer.

I soaked up the bit of oil that was present on both sides of the engine.

I read the oil pooling can damage the coils, doesn't it take a ton of oil to do that?....

The pooled oil is towards the back of the engine on both sides of the engine:
http://img470.imageshack.us/img470/9499/1001670bn8.jpg
http://img105.imageshack.us/img105/1338/1001674ot6.jpg

Thanks everyone

Dave M
03-14-2007, 12:21 PM
I don't have an M60, but from your pics it appears that the oil is originating from the perimeter of head cover gasket, not the 'rings' that seal around the plug holes. In order to check if the 'rings' are leaking, you will need to pull the plugs and look down the holes. It is leaking in this area that may cause damage (unless the oil we see is able to make its way down the plug holes). But again, take this with a grain of salt as I'm much more familiar with the M50.

Dave

Antrieb
03-14-2007, 12:24 PM
I had WAY more than that in my valve cover. The oil corroded the plug boots so I had to ghetto electrical tape them up.

God I hate my motor.

Boone.Msi
03-14-2007, 12:30 PM
i had that much, and it seems to have fouled my ignition coils. I would go ahead and look into it or get some new valve cover gaskets.

632 Regal
03-14-2007, 12:59 PM
yep gasket time. I suppose if you manually keep it dry you can buy some time. The covers are time consuming, at least for me they were as it took forever to scrape the old gasket off. Was like glass and really held tight on the valve cover side.

bimmerd00d
03-14-2007, 01:43 PM
Definitely get on that Valve Cover gasket. Here's a few pics of my E39 (M62) when i dove into it.

www.bimmerd00d.com/images/540i/vcgasketjob/

Dave M
03-14-2007, 05:54 PM
Definitely get on that Valve Cover gasket. Here's a few pics of my E39 (M62) when i dove into it.

www.bimmerd00d.com/images/540i/vcgasketjob/

Boy, was I out to lunch. I wasn't aware the 8's sealed up like that. Thanks for the lesson.

Dave M
03-14-2007, 06:01 PM
Posted without consent. dood's oily head ;)

http://www.bimmerd00d.com/images/540i/vcgasketjob/passenger/IMG_1462.JPG

bimmerd00d
03-14-2007, 10:37 PM
Posted without consent. dood's oily head ;)

Yah, that's how she looked when i got her.

ryan roopnarine
03-14-2007, 10:44 PM
how the hell would that even run with that much oil? is there some magic to obd2 that allows spark to happen with that much fluid grounding out each spark plug?

Fetch
03-15-2007, 04:00 PM
Thanks for the insight everyone!
Also, thanks for the pictures bimmerd00d.

I'll manually keep it clean until I can perform the job in a couple months.

eem2x
03-15-2007, 11:29 PM
Definatly get on that; only bad things will happen when oil goes where it shouldn't!

I did the valve cover gaskets 6 months ago on my m60. Here is the high-point, low-point analysis:

1. Make sure you get ALL of the rubber washers for EACH bolt in the valve cover.
2. When clearing the way to get to them DON'T Igor the electrical components, fuel distribution tray etc. (My dad used to say "Don't Igor it!" meaning too much muscle not enough finesse).

3. Have a couple of new box cutter razor blades handy for the old gasket. I also had some 3M adhesive solvent (nectar of the gods) which really helped clean up the valve covers.

4. I ended up buying a brass stripping attachment for my dewalt to get the really stubborn gasket residue off. Helped a great deal. A dremel will suffice.

5. This is the big one. I REALLY, REALLY wish I had done the intake manifold gasket at the same time, when I had the thing torn down. I had a rough idle I was pursing at the time and the IMG was ultimately the culprit.
6. Be careful with the coils on the spark plugs. They are expensive and sensitive. Ask me how I know ;-)

All in all, it was a simple, pleasant job for the diy'er, IMHO. Good Luck!

markus
03-16-2007, 12:02 AM
i plan on doing this job next weekend, just ordered all the parts and new spark plugs. i just hope ill be able to get all the old gasket off and have no problems with the new gaskets.

is permatex really nesecary?

eem2x
03-16-2007, 12:12 AM
My post wasn't very clear regarding the washers. What I meant to say was make sure you order all of the washers, there are quite a few of them. I originally ordered just the gasket, and once the cover was off I realized that I didn't order any replacements for the bolt washers. It is critical that you replace those washers as that is where many of the valve cover gasket leaks originate from. And don't fret about getting the old gasket off, you'll be fine. When it's man vs rubber, man always wins!

Fetch
03-16-2007, 12:03 PM
Thanks, I've made note of the rubber washers needed in addition to the gaskets.

saluki540i
03-16-2007, 08:30 PM
Make sure not to do what I did and mix up the two TPS plugs while putting everything back together. It will trigger the asc light, and will make one feel silly after realizing what an inattentive eeediott they (me) were to do such a thing - oh and it cost me 30 bucks too. I had way more oil than that in mine when I took it apart for what it's worth. been bone dry for months now - you really shouldnt need any permatex except maybe on a corner. Might want to crack the plugs loose too, and do a quick visual.