PDA

View Full Version : Wheel advice wanted

shanek
03-13-2007, 11:24 PM
Since the majority here have very good taste, what do you think of these? These would be a last possible option. I have 2 cracked wheels and according to BBS it is most likely because of age. I may get them fixed but am worried that if they are starting to crack they may just crack again. These are cheap, $180 each, and they are local. I think they may look alright, have to see them in person first.
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b85/ShaneKennedy/kaltire.gif

New Owner 95 E34
03-14-2007, 06:12 AM
Sporty, but not too flashy. Decent lip. Kind of remind me of the style 68 3-series rims, but more open, a nicer finish... classier.

They have my vote!

Michael999
03-14-2007, 02:28 PM
I like them, try take a picture when you go see them, good price as well :)

gale
03-14-2007, 08:20 PM
Nice looking wheels! Just make sure they have the correct offset.

GJPinAU
03-14-2007, 08:25 PM
I like them.
Not too fussy and look fairly easy to clean.
Just make sure they have the right offset.

cheers,
Greg

shanek
03-14-2007, 08:51 PM
They are BMW specific so they come in 18mm for the 5 series and 41mm for the 3 series. The tire shop will have a set next week some time so I'll check them out then.

BMWCCA1
03-15-2007, 10:56 AM
Cracked BBSs from "old age"? Were they RS wheels? Or E39 takeoffs? Where were the cracks? In the outer edge of the rims?

GoldenOne
03-15-2007, 11:37 AM
i like them...but they remind me of a mercedes amg wheel

shanek
03-15-2007, 04:06 PM
My rims are RS, The ones in my sig pic. The cracks are on the inner lip.

BMWCCA1
03-16-2007, 11:07 AM
So you mean the outer edge of the inside rim section? Like out near the tire bead? Pretty normal for RS if so. They used to replace them for free under warranty when that happened. Guess they ran out of stock or decided it was one policy that led to bankruptcy protection! I love the RS but for that reason alone I'm not interested in buying any anymore. Fine for a track wheel, but I don't expect my road wheels to deteriorate due to "old age" if not abused.

shanek
03-16-2007, 12:26 PM
Thanks for that reply BMWCCA1, I hadn't heard or read about this. There is a place that can machine new pieces for them for $250 a wheel. I may end up just doing that. I would be SOL on warranty any way because I didn't buy them, the original owner of the car did.

BMWCCA1
03-16-2007, 08:26 PM
I wasn't the original owner of mine, either ('88 E28 535is), but they replaced one back in 1993 or so after I sent it back to them to determine if there was any impact damage that might void the claim. If you see how the lip has changed on the E39 Sport Package BBS wheels you'll see why the old style had problems. The thin design and accommodation for clip-on balance weights (a no-no according to BBS but they made it that way) makes for a very thin edge which BBS says cracks from road debris getting wedged between the tire and the rim, especially on wheel fitments requiring a relatively skinny tire. I'm not sure I'd invest in a set of RS's. When I sold my car, a couple of years later the new owner called me to ask about another cracked rim, so it obviously is a common problem that's just not going away, though until now I'd never heard about it on an E34. Come to think of it, I still have a set of 17's off an E32 in my basement I ought to do something with before I die. I'll have to check and see if they might fit the E34. They're free to me.