PDA

View Full Version : Check Control Module variants

aslan.de
03-13-2007, 05:18 PM
Okay, I noticed that there were a number of people on this board that seem to know about the electronics in their cars. I was hoping that some here might be willing to enlighten me as to the different CCM variants. In particular, I want to know if more than one variant will work in my car, since I suspect that mine is defective and possibly acting as a power draw (suspect, don't know).

I found this list of CCMs on another forum (http://forum.e34.de/thread.php?threadid=54027&threadview=0&hilight=&hilightuser=0&page=3)
Unfortunately, I don't read enough German to make sense of it. Here is the list:

61.35-1 379 379: Hella, Low (Alugehäuse, schwarzer Deckel)
61.35-1 384 603: Hella, Low (Alugehäuse, gelber Deckel - alt, hier fehlt auch meist die Diode für die "Licht an?" und "Tür offen"-Warnung)
61.35-1 384 605:
61.35-1 384 606: United Technology Automotive, High
61.35-1 384 607: United Technology Automotive, Low

61.35-1 388 097: LK, High
61.35-1 388 098: LK, Low

61.35-1 388 613: Low
61.35-1 388 614: das Aktuelle, was im ETK steht

61.35-2 942 287: Loewe, Low

The part number for my car is the last one, 61.35-2 942 287. I've found a couple of 61.35-1 384 605 and one 61.35-1 384 606 in a couple of cars being parted out, but have been unable to find any that match my part number. So, my biggest question is whether I should try using any of these modules in my vehicle.

The second question I have, is what are the consequences of using a module different than the one currently in my car? How do they actually differ?

Here are my specific problems (which I believe may be related to the CCM):
1) The LCD at the bottom of my console flashes the message: "Check Control" and what translates to "User manual" in German. Using Babelfish to translate my manual, I discovered that the manual says that the CCM is defective and needs to be serviced.
2) The car is hard on the battery. I just replaced it since the old one was shot. I left the car inactive for 3 days and when I went to start it, it wouldn't turn over. I'm guessing I have a power drain some where and based on other readings I would suspect that the CCM could be the problem. I've read that if the module is defective, it can pull additional current.
3) Sometimes, the speedometer doesn't work. Originally, re-seating the CCM caused it to function again.
4) Lastly, and I'm not sure that this is related, the car seems to have a bit of a gremlin. Occasionally, things will do things they aren't supposed to, like the blinker lights will come on when the vehicle is turned off and secured, run for a few seconds, then stop. I've also had the headlight cleaner go off unexpectedly when parking.

I recently bought the car off of a German as a second vehicle. I suspected it had some issues due to the price and I think most of what is wrong with the vehicle is relatively minor. I've also got what appears to be a vacuum leak to track down since the car fails to idle cold and idles a little rough when its warmed up (low RPMs). I am finding it unexpectedly difficult to locate parts, at least the CCM. Hence the question about alternatives. Any of you guys know what the differences are?

aslan.de
03-19-2007, 03:52 PM
by doing some digging I found where other BMW owners had switched out the CCM on the advice of one who said a CCM from any 5 series would work. I pulled out an older unit from a 89-91 535i with a part number that ended in 606 and "made in the USA" stamped on it. I swapped the unit with mine on Friday. Here are the results:
1) The check control light went out and now it complains that my license plate light has a problem with it. I had someone check it with the engine running and she said it was on but dim.
2) The engine won't idle now, even when warmed up. Actually, it will idle, its just hit or miss as to how well it does it. Sometimes it tries to idle at about 500 RPM and it does for a short while. I don't know enough to know if this is related but I suspect that it probably isn't. From what I have read so far, the CCM seems primarily concerned with whether all your lights are functioning properly than how well the engine is running. Still, I report it here on the off chance that it is. Clarification from anyone knowledgeable on this part would be appreciated.

shogun
03-19-2007, 07:12 PM
Aslan, you are located in Germany.
If no one here knows, ask on the German E34 forum in English, there are enough people like Kai525, Ralvieh and many others which speak fluent English, and they are the real experts for the CC.
The best is you clearly indicate the exact month and year of production of your car.
That you can find out in the VIN decoder on my website below.

You can also install a complete new cluster and someone there can reprogram the data of your old cluster into the new one, if the chip will not fit, so that you have all your car data and km etc. stored again.

aslan.de
03-23-2007, 02:10 PM
Shogun -

Thanks, and just posted. As an aside, any reason why "shogun"? Nihongo mo hansette imasu ka?

AllGo'n'Show
03-23-2007, 07:44 PM
aaaa ha! I have the same Check Control problem right now. Going to find out what oen it is and bring a part number.

Would this also be the cause of my heater blower fuse blowing up instantly everytime i put a new fuse in?

aslan.de
03-24-2007, 01:30 PM
aaaa ha! I have the same Check Control problem right now. Going to find out what oen it is and bring a part number.

Would this also be the cause of my heater blower fuse blowing up instantly everytime i put a new fuse in?

Wish I could say, here is what I have been told so far:
The Check Control Module (CCM) checks out your car's systems when you start it up. Its actually a series of test circuits that tell you things like your windshield wiper fluid is low. These circuits, if damaged, can cause excessive current draw. Thus, if your blower shares a fuse with the CCM, this may be the problem. If not, you've got a short to track down.

aslan.de
04-01-2007, 02:21 PM
Shogun -

Thanks, and just posted. As an aside, any reason why "shogun"? Nihongo mo hansette imasu ka?

Shogun-san wa Tokyojin dakara tabun Nihonjin desho ne. Gomen ne! Shitzure shimashita. (Watashi wa mae ni Osaka no ho ni sundemashita. Dakara, sukoshi Nihongo mata hanasemasu.)