PDA

View Full Version : 525ix....Conversion to AWD

netmgr
05-02-2004, 01:49 PM
Guys.

They made an E30, AWD - it was fitted with an M20 engine, Mines also an M20 but an E34 which i belive they also made a version of AWD - Im guessing the parts are exactly the same....

Anyone any knowledge of this or pics of what make up the system?

From what i gather some fort of transfer box goes near to the clutch and out pops another driveshaft to go to front wheel drive, im cloudy what components are after this new driveshaft

any help would be good

darren

632 Regal
05-02-2004, 03:14 PM
sounds like an interesting project...(NT)

Bill R.
05-02-2004, 04:18 PM
Guys.

They made an E30, AWD - it was fitted with an M20 engine, Mines also an M20 but an E34 which i belive they also made a version of AWD - Im guessing the parts are exactly the same....

Anyone any knowledge of this or pics of what make up the system?

From what i gather some fort of transfer box goes near to the clutch and out pops another driveshaft to go to front wheel drive, im cloudy what components are after this new driveshaft

any help would be good

darren

cjones
05-02-2004, 07:37 PM
If you go to Europe and get used parts Front suspension transmission transfer case and drive shafts its doable, you also need a rack and pinion steering.

Unregistered
05-02-2004, 07:41 PM
Im in the UK

MicahO
05-03-2004, 10:30 AM
use it to start a fire. Then feed it with more money to keep me warm. That way, at least I'll be warm in the middle of the winter.

Okay, seriously then - that sort of wholesale changes to vehicular systems will eventually get you the vehicle you want. It will take a whole bucket of money, two buckets of time, and three or more buckets of pain-in-the-ass.

That said, I do think the awd e34's kick ass. Sell your car, find a factory 525ix with the M50 plant. You'll probably be happier with the M50 plant anyhow after you give up some power losses to the awd driveline. You might need to import one, but I think the iX was sold in your market..... If you were creating something completely unavailable in your market, say a 6 speed 540iT in the USofA, it's worth the input. If the car is otherwise available, it's just lots of work.