PDA

View Full Version : Weird Power Window problem

stargazer_61
03-13-2007, 09:06 AM
The front passenger window on my '95 540i was sticking as it was being put up. Searching the forum, it appeared that a likely culprit was the two plastic slides that the regulator pivots on as the window goes up and down. So I went and got some new ones from the stealer, cleaned the tracks, greased them with white lithium grease, sprayed silicon in the window channels and started to put it back together.

I decided I'd better take a look at the innards of the motor as well so I pulled it apart to check the cam that the worm gear on the motor shaft drives for broken teeth.

There were no broken teeth so I put it all back together, checking for free movement in the regulator. There does not appear to be any binding. But I did not take the black plastic case apart to check out the rubber piece that the cam rides on, like in this picture from Bill R. from a previous thread:

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=8373&highlight=window+regulator

The window clunks even more than it used to. Could that rubber piece be shot? And to top that off, the motor acts as though the poles have been reversed (ie: Down = Up). So now I have a one-touch-up passenger window that sticks halfway and needs help to get the rest of the way up.

Any ideas?