PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of engine Stethoscopes...

George M
05-02-2004, 12:00 PM
figured I would start a new thread to not hi-jack the other post.
Anybody know which one is the ticket and where to get it? Perhaps it is time I graduate from a long screw driver and rubber hose. Don't know if there are good versus bad engine stethoscopes out there so thought I would ask for opinions. Seems like a good tool to have.
Thanks for any input,
George
Also, can these be used to play doctor? ;)

632 Regal
05-02-2004, 12:20 PM
you could probably get one online from a medical supply house??

Bill R.
05-02-2004, 12:54 PM
I have seen and if you look at the snap on, matco and mac ones they are also steelman repackaged... this is by far the cheapest price I have seen for it also...we had a steelman at a shop I worked at and it worked very well.
Check here. (http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/STE-65001.html)

George M
05-02-2004, 05:05 PM
Jeff I was looking for an engine specific stethoscope. Bill...appreciate the lead on steelman as I didn't know who made a good one out there.
Thanks again,
George

Unregistered
05-02-2004, 05:16 PM
While we're talking stethescopes & diagnostic tools, 2 thoughts:

1. eBay has mechanic's stethoscopes, but you could probably use a medical one and attach a metal rod or tube to it. I've seen med. types at thrift shops.

2. Anybody ever use an endoscope or other fiberoptic tool to look around corners? That's what doctors use for colonoscopy, micro-surgery, etc.. Seems to me that a less expensive version would be very handy when working on cars. Some of them have a joystick with internal cables to allow it to snake around objects and look up, down, and sideways. Built in internal light. Some types can be attached to a video camera.

Bill R.
05-02-2004, 05:45 PM
the spark plug hole.

While we're talking stethescopes & diagnostic tools, 2 thoughts:

1. eBay has mechanic's stethoscopes, but you could probably use a medical one and attach a metal rod or tube to it. I've seen med. types at thrift shops.

2. Anybody ever use an endoscope or other fiberoptic tool to look around corners? That's what doctors use for colonoscopy, micro-surgery, etc.. Seems to me that a less expensive version would be very handy when working on cars. Some of them have a joystick with internal cables to allow it to snake around objects and look up, down, and sideways. Built in internal light. Some types can be attached to a video camera.

Bob Gardner
05-02-2004, 06:32 PM
sorry i cant help you on where to get one. i can tell you however that they are well worth the money. i dont know where my dad got it, but i have used it many a time and it helped out bunches.

Chris M
05-03-2004, 04:08 AM
I use this one (http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=660&catalogId=10101&langId=-1&storeId=10101) from JC Whitney. I have had it for about a decade and it seems to do what I need it to do without having spent a ton of money.

Jake
05-03-2004, 04:26 AM
you could probably get one online from a medical supply house??

I'm not sure how well it would work, but the amplification component of the mechanics stethoscope is specialized for it's purpose. I have no idea how you could modify a medical design to do what the mechanics version does. And when you can pick up the mechanics stethoscope for $8 it may not be worth the trouble.

On the bore scope topic, I briefly researched it and couldn't find anything affordable. Admittedly I didn't look very hard, but I still want one. Each one I looked at was at least several thousand dollars. :(

Cheers,
Jake Larsen

winfred
05-03-2004, 08:14 AM
about a month ago my snapon guy was pushing a cheep one, in the $3-400 range if i remember right

On the bore scope topic, I briefly researched it and couldn't find anything affordable. Admittedly I didn't look very hard, but I still want one. Each one I looked at was at least several thousand dollars.

Bill R.
05-03-2004, 08:27 AM
net
(http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/MAN112.html)

about a month ago my snapon guy was pushing a cheep one, in the $3-400 range if i remember right

Hector
05-03-2004, 11:50 AM
then this kit should do ya. You get stet and more... :o)

http://www.niftycool.com/prpldoset.html

figured I would start a new thread to not hi-jack the other post.
Anybody know which one is the ticket and where to get it? Perhaps it is time I graduate from a long screw driver and rubber hose. Don't know if there are good versus bad engine stethoscopes out there so thought I would ask for opinions. Seems like a good tool to have.
Thanks for any input,
George
Also, can these be used to play doctor? ;)

632 Regal
05-03-2004, 12:07 PM
then this kit should do ya. You get stet and more... :o)

http://www.niftycool.com/prpldoset.html

JonE
05-03-2004, 12:42 PM
Huh, I see it even includes a bed pan. How gross is that!?

632 Regal
05-03-2004, 01:14 PM
I saw these things going anywhere from $6.95-over 300 bucks, exactly what is needed. would say a $6.95 one work? I could splurge for the $30.00 models and listen through walls when I'm out of town too...