PDA

View Full Version : poll: would this be seen by an aggressive driver as an antagonizing...

ryan roopnarine
03-12-2007, 08:01 PM
manuver?

random individual is being tailgated/vehicularly swung at (ie, antagonist is bobbing around in his lane) next to random individual. antagonist goes forward, plays gran turismo with other cars ahead of individual. antagonist decelerates in the slow lane (2 lane road) as to come "neck and neck" with the random individual, who is travelling in the fast lane. the question is: if the random individual inches ahead of antagonist at speed limit (in left lane) to get into slow lane--and "surrender" to the antagonist by switching into the slow lane, would your average jackass antagonist interpret this as either a "surrender" on the part of the random, or as a provocation to fight by the antagonist (ie, random "cut jackass off"). thanks.

GoldenOne
03-12-2007, 08:48 PM
lol had to read it a couple times but sounds like a surrender to me...

Renman
03-12-2007, 08:59 PM
It's a surrender unless the jackass passes the random driver, random driver flips him the birdy and then jackass pulls over on the shoulder. In that case it's time for said random to open big can of whoop-ass.

ryan roopnarine
03-12-2007, 10:00 PM
cripes guys, 58 views and 3 votes? i'm not asking you all to paypal me $5 each :D if you take the time to read this, please consider clicking one of the options, thanks.

attack eagle
03-12-2007, 10:07 PM
provocation

no need to change lanes if you are going faster

Robin-535im
03-12-2007, 10:19 PM
manuver?

random individual is being tailgated/vehicularly swung at (ie, antagonist is bobbing around in his lane) next to random individual. antagonist goes forward, plays gran turismo with other cars ahead of individual. antagonist decelerates in the slow lane (2 lane road) as to come "neck and neck" with the random individual, who is travelling in the fast lane. the question is: if the random individual inches ahead of antagonist at speed limit (in left lane) to get into slow lane--and "surrender" to the antagonist by switching into the slow lane, would your average jackass antagonist interpret this as either a "surrender" on the part of the random, or as a provocation to fight by the antagonist (ie, random "cut jackass off"). thanks.

Surrender would be pulling in behind... giving him your tail is more provocation even if an accident.

Random (Ryandom?) individual could look the antagonist in the eye for a few seconds, proceed to pick his nose for a minute as if he absolutely didn't give a damn, then turn back and keep driving.

But flicking the booger on the antagonist would definitely be provocation.

ryan roopnarine
03-12-2007, 10:25 PM
Surrender would be pulling in behind... giving him your tail is more provocation even if an accident.

Random (Ryandom?) individual could look the antagonist in the eye for a few seconds, proceed to pick his nose for a minute as if he absolutely didn't give a damn, then turn back and keep driving.

1. not moi :D

2. the jackass is one of the entities that one isn't "allowed" to drive faster than. ie, fuel trucks menacing, a magical army convoy that can match one speed for speed, law enforcement, et cetera. vehicle was matching my speed, so that was not an option.

3. vehicle pulls in to right hand lane to "give up" and indicate that "i'm not going anywhere, i'm going to do the speed limit, please go around me"

BigKriss
03-12-2007, 11:26 PM
couldn't understand the question. i must be slow today

ryan roopnarine
03-12-2007, 11:35 PM
couldn't understand the question. i must be slow today

abridged version:

1. somebody's bein a dick in the passing lane.
2. dick drives forward and out of range to menace others
3. dick slows down in the travel lane to match speed--and is actively matching speeds with the bystander, who is currently in the passing lane.
4. bystander speeds up, but stays in speed limit, to pass dick in the passing lane, moves over to travel/slow lane to hold ground and allow dick to go away.

Boone.Msi
03-13-2007, 12:59 AM
Funny how this comes up, i had the same exact thing happen to me last night on the interstate. This guy ****ed with me then tried to "speed away" i can tell you that a kia is no competition for an e34 at an 80mph roll. so i ****ed with him up to his car governed out at 120, backed off to watch him weave through 3 lanes of traffic, then called the cops and waited for his wreckless driving **** of a car, to be pulled over by the local state patrol.

That my friend is a victory.

632 Regal
03-13-2007, 01:12 AM
+10
Funny how this comes up, i had the same exact thing happen to me last night on the interstate. This guy ****ed with me then tried to "speed away" i can tell you that a kia is no competition for an e34 at an 80mph roll. so i ****ed with him up to his car governed out at 120, backed off to watch him weave through 3 lanes of traffic, then called the cops and waited for his wreckless driving **** of a car, to be pulled over by the local state patrol.

That my friend is a victory.

kev535i
03-13-2007, 01:53 AM
was one of the drivers Winfred?

Paul in NZ
03-13-2007, 02:39 AM
i dont understand it either Ryan,but i think pulling in behind and immediately giving him room...ie NOT tailgating is less provocative than "cutting off" then slowing down.

pingu
03-13-2007, 05:06 AM
I read it - can you write it again in clear English please?

For example, you mention a "random individual" and then mention another random individual. Are these the same person? If you are talking about two different random indivduals then why not make this clear? And is the antagonist behind one of those two (or maybe just one!) random individuals?

That's enough of an English lesson. ;-)

ryan roopnarine
03-13-2007, 06:49 AM
any reference to the random individual refers to the same innocent bystander, no matter when (they) are referred to.

antagonist is the same antagonist.

it is really hard to explain without using models or pictures or such.

in the last part of the story, where the "random" pulls in front of the antagonist....the random has no choice, as the antagonist decides to slow down when he does, so the random cannot pull behind the antagonist.

Ross
03-13-2007, 10:04 AM
Can't really understand your question but will offer this little story from my experience that may help you decide what to do in these situations.
Nobody likes *******s in traffic. Right?
A decidedly agressive driver once tried to merge into "my" place in traffic a long time ago. Being much younger and less wise I firmly held my ground. He could have slowed and taken a spot behind me or sped up and overtook me. This ******* was determined to have the space I occupied.
I was now ******* #2. This was at highway speeds. ******* #1 deliberately slammed his car into me hard sending both of us spinning off the road and causing all other traffic to take evasive action. Both cars ended up down an embankment. I was ready for a fight but the other ******* had scared himself shitless already and was far less agressive now.
Now get this. ******* 1 had his wife and small child in the car! We were near a shopping mall at Christmastime and a cop who was directing traffic nearby saw the two cars come sliding down the embankment. When the cop asked what had happened AH1 says I slammed him. Who is the cop to believe? A young guy alone or Joe family man with wife and child? Just as I am about to be hauled off a woman who had witnessed this approaches the cop and offers that she too had been bullied by *******1 and that I was not the aggressor.
Only luck saved me from injury in a crash or arrest due to misunderstanding.

The moral here is that an agressive driver sees damn near everything as antagonizing and also never assume you are dealing with a rational person.
Forgive me please for preaching but that day tought me a lot.

Robin-535im
03-13-2007, 11:39 AM
I read it - can you write it again in clear English please?

For example, you mention a "random individual" and then mention another random individual. Are these the same person? If you are talking about two different random indivduals then why not make this clear? And is the antagonist behind one of those two (or maybe just one!) random individuals?

That's enough of an English lesson. ;-)
May we assume the distribution of random individuals is Gaussian? That simplifies things a bit.

Robin-535im
03-13-2007, 11:47 AM
The moral here is that an agressive driver sees damn near everything as antagonizing and also never assume you are dealing with a rational person.
Forgive me please for preaching but that day tought me a lot.

That's a good point Ross, and one that takes some years (and experience that we hopefully emerge from unharmed) to fully embrace.

You can't out-crazy someone who is truly crazy. Some people really have nothing to lose... it's impossible to tell who you're dealing with when in cars. It's a lot easier to suffer some wounded pride than get into a row with a wacko.

rob101
03-13-2007, 04:41 PM
That's a good point Ross, and one that takes some years (and experience that we hopefully emerge from unharmed) to fully embrace.

You can't out-crazy someone who is truly crazy. Some people really have nothing to lose... it's impossible to tell who you're dealing with when in cars. It's a lot easier to suffer some wounded pride than get into a row with a wacko.
Well if you have too much pride to let someone merge into your lane after they indicate, you need to leave it at home. I have noticed that driving like a psycho and tailgating people will only get you to your destination 2 or 3 minutes on an average 30 minute drive anyway. Whereas have a stack into the back of someone will cost you 2 or 3 hrs plus your insurance excess and a hole lot of BS. Don't get me wrong i like to keep a decent pace but only when traffic allows it. I find it more stressful being a jerk than just being relaxed letting the dickheads be dickheads and staying out of vehicular BS.

BigKriss
03-15-2007, 06:14 AM
Sorry Ryan, I still didn't understand the question after you explained it the second time. If a guy wants to cut in front of me I will slow down almost every time. The last thing I would ever want is to have an accident in this car.

ryan roopnarine
03-15-2007, 07:27 AM
i would have gotten some hot wheels and a digital camera shot of this stuff and posted what i'm trying to explain in words about this situation if my tensioner pulley didn't blow up yesterday. i'll bump it back up with better explanation in a day or two. i've had maybe 10% success explaining the situation to people in real life, it isn't surprising that (it) doesn't work easily in words either.

Qube
03-15-2007, 09:56 AM
+1

Sam-Son
03-15-2007, 02:49 PM
Provocation.
If you want to surrender don't speed up and pass the ******* then get in front of him. Slow down and get behind.

dennyg
03-16-2007, 12:25 AM
Anytime you change your driving to to show you are not weak you are doing the same thing antagonist does. Road rage is the same even if your second in line. Once driving in Los angeles I was stopped in traffic looking in my rear view mirror at someone too close to my bumper. I must have rolled my eyes or gave the guy some kind of body language that set him off. He got out of his car wanting to fight. I am a coward for just driving on? I would do it again. next time surrender by avoiding the a..hole. There is no telling what action they could take next if you match their actions.

slvre34
03-17-2007, 03:52 PM
If I read it right and you (random individual) moved into right lane ahead of antagonist, this could be a provocation (though not a challenge) if you forced antagonist to apply brakes. If you really wanted to ensure not to provoke/antagonize antagonist, you would brake in left lane and slide in behind him in right lane.

manuver?