PDA

View Full Version : Output shaft seals

Blitzkrieg Bob
03-12-2007, 01:52 PM
Attacked the weeping output shaft seals on the Touring rearend, and there was lots of room tho get a pneumatic impact wrench in at 12 O'clock and get all the hex bolts.......but one....one bolt refused to go, tried every trick in the book, larger bits, torx bit driven in, sloted it and tried a monster screw driver, and even grazing it with a chisel. nothing move it.

So i aleast got the one side (most leaky) done without incident.

I'll pick up a new bolt and cut the bastage off and go from there on the other side

Jr ///M5
03-12-2007, 06:06 PM
Try a little 8" pipe wrench and use a "cheater" on the end of it, that is, if you have the room to swing it.

icesoft
03-12-2007, 06:36 PM
I had some behave like that on me too... I ended up using some 'bolt-out' rusted bolt removers with an impact wrench once I got the half shafts out of the car.

To get the shafts out, I unbolted the wheel-bearing end of the half shaft and popped the other end out of the diff complete with the drive flange...

Blitzkrieg Bob
03-12-2007, 08:00 PM
just one bolt appears to be torqued by Godzilla the mechainc, or it's just those self locking bolt faces doing one hell of a job.

GoldenOne
03-12-2007, 08:34 PM
haha...i had one bolt like that when i replaced my diff...what we basically did was fab an extension to a breaker bar and used a 3 foot steal pipe on the end

632 Regal
03-12-2007, 11:32 PM
I think all E34s have the 1 stuck bolt option. Try heat, I did that and then vice grips and it turned out. Of course at that point the hex part was pretty mangled so assembly was the reverse minus the torch.

Blitzkrieg Bob
03-12-2007, 11:47 PM
I think all E34s have the 1 stuck bolt option. Try heat, I did that and then vice grips and it turned out. Of course at that point the hex part was pretty mangled so assembly was the reverse minus the torch.

I am afraid I'd set fire to the CV boot.