PDA

View Full Version : Time Out... Advice for E34 having a break

Nick.Hay
03-12-2007, 04:47 AM
Hey guys,

My E34 is going to spend the next 12 to 18 months off the road til I can afford to get her going like she should.

She'll get the monthly 'lap of the block', with the aircon going, just to keep engine/aircon in good order.

Are there any other tips to keep her in good shape whilst she's having a break?? Want to make sure that the door seals don't shrink or gum up, the electrical systems don't corode, and the like.

Should I put fresh oil in the engine??

Dave M
03-12-2007, 06:39 AM
Hey guys,

My E34 is going to spend the next 12 to 18 months off the road til I can afford to get her going like she should.

She'll get the monthly 'lap of the block', with the aircon going, just to keep engine/aircon in good order.

Are there any other tips to keep her in good shape whilst she's having a break?? Want to make sure that the door seals don't shrink or gum up, the electrical systems don't corode, and the like.

Should I put fresh oil in the engine??

Thats too bad, but at least you're not selling her.

Fresh oil = Yes

As well, add some fuel stabilizer to the tank, get a trickle charger for the battery as your trips around the block won't quite do the trick. I take mine off the road and never have an issue with door seals (I'm in a cold climate), but I'm sure theres something you can coat them with. Electrical should be fine if you're leaving it a dry environment. However, keep an eye out for rodent activity, they're likely your greatest threat to electrical. Also, give the tires and extra ~5 psi and keep em round so not to develop flat spots. Your trips around the block will have you believing your suspension is shot ;) Oh wax it as well, I never do, but more dedicated folks do.

Most importantly, tinker with it if you have the space and time :D

Dave

Ross
03-12-2007, 10:04 AM
Fresh fluids everywhere and a battery tender ought to do it.

Nick.Hay
03-12-2007, 10:41 PM
Thats too bad, but at least you're not selling her.

The $$ I would get for it in its current state are NO WHERE NEAR enough to cover the emotional attachment I have to the ol' girl!! :D

So she'll sit for a while... :(

rob101
03-12-2007, 11:00 PM
The $$ I would get for it in its current state are NO WHERE NEAR enough to cover the emotional attachment I have to the ol' girl!! :D

So she'll sit for a while... :(
ain't that the truth. i read somewhere that if you disconnect the battery the ventilation ducts won't open as apparently when you switch the car off they open. so nothing can crawl into your ducting and make a home.:D

ryan roopnarine
03-12-2007, 11:14 PM
use a conventional (read: cheap) oil and change it every 6 months.

CharlesAFerg
03-13-2007, 03:30 AM
Mothballs... Lots, and lots of mothballs.

Michael999
03-13-2007, 05:01 AM
Open and close all the doors a few times a week if you can, and leave them open for a minute.
Also grab some Bug surface spray, and spray it all over the place around the car and in gaps, last thing you want is a family of redbacks throughout your ducts!

John B.
03-13-2007, 08:12 AM
Make sure your monthly rides are long enough to bring the oil up to full operating temp or you will just be filling the engine & exhaust with moisture. Check the airbox, engine compartment, trunk & glovebox area regularly for signs of mice & as Charles said spread lots of mothballs under & inside the car.