PDA

View Full Version : suspension parts on line - where is best deal

cobb535
03-11-2007, 08:46 PM
i am going to go over the front suspension on mt 89 535. (horrible shimmy at 50 and above) I'll start with trhust arms and tie rod ends and go from there. Several people on the board talk about using 750 bushings. Anyone on line sell the assemblies or seperate pieces at reasonable prices? Any chance a local Atlanta supplier is close to on line prices.
I am new to the E34 world and want to save sone footwork and glean from the experiences of the board members.
I'd like to get ready for another weekend of "wrench therapy" before Spring hits.

markus
03-11-2007, 08:55 PM
i ordered most of my front end parts from steve haygood. you can call him up and he will get you what you need. his number is on his website. www.stevehaygood.com hes a good guy with good prices. anyways i got my 540i in late october and started attacking the suspension because it had 123k on it and most of my car is original. So needless to say replacing all this crap has been frustrating but rewarding. I ordered control arms, tierods, stabilizer links, thrust arms, idler arm and center link all from steve haygood. I opted for the meyle parts over the lemforder parts since im cheap. anyway a lot of people on here say meyle is junk but i have had my parts on now for 4 months and no problems yet. I think everything was $411 shipped to my door. I also ordered tranny and engine mounts which were $100 shipped to my door and no problems either. Give him a call and see what he can do for u. He can get you lemforder if you want too.

For thrust arms you will need to modify a 22mm open ended wrench. I hope you have a bench grinder or know someone who does. you will have to grind down the open end a little bit in order for it to fit. I also recomend a balljoint separator. This job isnt hard but it can be frustrating depending on how bad the parts are stuck together.

Podmore
03-11-2007, 09:40 PM
I've had very good service and good prices from www.bmaparts.com. Yves is very helpful, if you can't find the parts listed, just email him and chances are he can get them in or already has them.

dennyg
03-12-2007, 01:47 AM
Shox Shop in Cali was were I bought most of my front end parts......bushings and bilsteins.....Not sure why so many replace the metal when just the rubber bushings will do but maybe yours are worn to the point where metal needs replacing. Don't forget sway bar links, idler arm, pitman or dog bones. Those parts are not expensive at all. In fact we looked at all the rubber ends from tie rods to sway bar links and replaced almost everything. Rear sub frame bushings and tie rods are the only things we didn't replace. I have also bought from BMA.....Like their service..good luck