PDA

View Full Version : The Process of Making this 535iM complete.

Makaveli2k
03-11-2007, 06:36 PM
Hello
Well Here is the deal.
I have/had an 89 525iM on my hands but the body was rusted like you wouldn't believe. And so along came a beautiful 535iA shell of the same year so I thought I'd get this and work it out because I love BMW's and my situation right now doesn't really long for a car. So now I just wanted to get some things straight so I can go about sourcing the right parts.

BTW, I'm taking the Pedal assembly, differential, and both master and slave cylinders off of the 525IM to put on the 535IA/M conversion car. Now I just wanted to get a few things straightened out before I go on the hunt for an engine and tranny.

1)Will I need the driveshaft modified for th 535IA to be able to take a M30 capable 5 speed tranny(Getrag 260)?
2)From what I've heard I have some choices from other cars to get the M30 from
-E24 6 series 635
-E28 5 series 535i
-E32 7 series 735i

Now as you all know some of those are hard to find in manual so can I mix and match tranny and motors for those cars. I believe I am looking for a GETRAG 260 Manual tranny and all these cars have them?

Finally, the center console where the gear selector is. will that need to be modified(Cut etc.) in order to house the manual tranny stick.

Thanks
-Dan

If there is anything of importance that isn't here please feel free to enlighten me. I know there are some more parts required for the tranny swap(Pilot bearing, Guibo clutch, etc.) I just didn't feel it was necessary to put them in the question.

gale
03-11-2007, 07:00 PM
Only the rear half of the 525i/535i driveshaft will work. The automatic trans is about 6" longer than the manual so the front driveshaft will have to be longer and it needs the guibo style flange end for the manual. Not sure about lengths for swapping e28 or e24 driveshafts, but nothing a driveshaft shop can't sort out for making a custom shaft.

The opening in the tunnel will be there for the manual shifter. There is a rubber boot (item 8) that seals the existing opening. The only parts mod cosmetically for the console will be the manual shift console panel and leather shifter boot. The main console "housing" does not need to be swapped or modified in any way.

http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/shift_parts.jpg

More details if you haven't come across this link already:

http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/page_41.htm

Feel free to PM or e-mail me with more questions.

Kalevera
03-11-2007, 08:00 PM
Hello
Well Here is the deal.
I have/had an 89 525iM on my hands but the body was rusted like you wouldn't believe. And so along came a beautiful 535iA shell of the same year so I thought I'd get this and work it out because I love BMW's and my situation right now doesn't really long for a car. So now I just wanted to get some things straight so I can go about sourcing the right parts.

BTW, I'm taking the Pedal assembly, differential, and both master and slave cylinders off of the 525IM to put on the 535IA/M conversion car. Now I just wanted to get a few things straightened out before I go on the hunt for an engine and tranny.

Unless it's a very late '90 535, it already has the correct bracket for the manual pedals. Just bolt the pedals in to place.

1)Will I need the driveshaft modified for th 535IA to be able to take a M30 capable 5 speed tranny(Getrag 260)?

Yes, I'd just get a rebuilt 535/5 driveshaft and not waste time with the 525 shaft.

2)From what I've heard I have some choices from other cars to get the M30 from
-E24 6 series 635
-E28 5 series 535i
-E32 7 series 735i

Now as you all know some of those are hard to find in manual so can I mix and match tranny and motors for those cars. I believe I am looking for a GETRAG 260 Manual tranny and all these cars have them?

I would stick to an E32/E34 M30B35. Earlier engines will need significant work to install and have less power with older engine management controls. I gave away a complete M30, engine harness and DME for $350 last august. They are cheap. If you source an E32 M30, depending on what kind of 735 it comes from, you'll need to find an E34 M30 intake to accomodate the E34's vacuum boost brakes.

It hasn't been proven that an E28/E24 Getrag 260 will work. Only late E28/E24 cars have mounts on the rear half of the casing for the E32/E34 shift console. Early cars use a different console. Others have said that the output shaft is different, too. Never looked into it. There is ONE part number for an E28 535 Getrag 260 that crosses to the early E32 cars. That may work. Worst case scenario is that you have to graft the 525's rear case on to the experimental M30 trans's front case. This could be difficult because there are two different types of guide tube setups (and shims and probably bearings) used on the G260's front case. You may also end up needing a custom driveshaft with that. But unless you want to guinnea pig it, find an E32/34 G260.

Finally, the center console where the gear selector is. will that need to be modified(Cut etc.) in order to house the manual tranny stick.

Thanks
-Dan

If there is anything of importance that isn't here please feel free to enlighten me. I know there are some more parts required for the tranny swap(Pilot bearing, Guibo clutch, etc.) I just didn't feel it was necessary to put them in the question.

The shifter is bolt and go. Remove some insulation and install it.

Incidentally, I know of a '91 535/5 black/black in Cleveland/OH that's rotting into the ground. The body's pretty well gone, but the owner might be willing to sell you the (complete) car for a grand or two.

Makaveli2k
03-11-2007, 08:24 PM
O.k, Fabulous I've now updated my to do list
-Fabricate the front drive shaft
-Make sure i get an e32/e34 M30b35
-And stick to finding an E34 g260/5 or if possible and e32 G260/5. Or if not a late model e28/e24. Now what would you classify as late model e28/e24? 85 and up or so?

Thanks
-Dan