PDA

View Full Version : Just got back from dealer--1995 525i with issues. Good deal?

NimbleCow
03-10-2007, 03:57 PM
Hey again guys,

Just got back from driving the '95 525i 5-speed. Single owner, 90k miles.

I drove over to my mechanic friend's house and he did a quick once-over and a trip around the block. Here's what he noted, and what he thought it would take to bring it back up to snuff:

- SRS Light came on and eventually went off after driving for a few minutes. He thought it could potentially be a few problems.
Up to $500 fix

- Engine miss. Doesn't seem to be firing on 6 cylinders. Putty exhaust, rough idle, and unimpressive output from engine.
$300-$500 fix

- Right rear tire needs replaced. Bridgestone Turanza.
$150

- Alignment fix. Wheel off center.
$69

- Few belts worn and should be replaced
$100

Total for repairs could be $1000-$1300-ish.

The car is being sold as is for $6k-ish. What do you guys think? Are his estimates accurate, and are there any problems with the car that should be taken as reasons to NOT buy the car?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

NimbleCow

632 Regal
03-10-2007, 04:09 PM
7500+ for a 525 and you still arent sure about the engine, sounds a bit high to me unless the interior and exterior are pristine. At that price all them little problems should have already been taken care of before it was put up for sale. Another thing is with all them problems the car does not seem to have been maintained and you may have a lot more problems down the road.

Tiger
03-10-2007, 04:11 PM
Talk them down... $5000 and in cash now.

Kalevera
03-10-2007, 04:43 PM
If the miss is due to a messed up head, it's not a $300 fix. It's more like a $1000 fix, even if you replace the whole engine and do the work yourself.

It is a rare case when just one tire can be replaced. Unless the other side is near new, you'll want to replace both rear tires. How is the rear tire worn, and why is it more extreme than the other side? These cars have no rear alignment adjustment from the factory, so an out of spec rear means that you're going to be replacing bushings, trailing arms, or worse. And the alignment is a $45 job -- fronts only, and there's only one adjustment for them, too.

I wouldn't touch it without knowing what the miss is about. If it's pristine beyond that, it's a $5000 car. With problems, it's a $3000 car at best.

Russell
03-10-2007, 05:38 PM
Can you get/see the previous owners records? If sold by a dealer, i think in most states, they are rquired ot give you the previous owner's name. Also, I would get it checked out by a BMW mechanic and get a written pre-purchase statement of items wrong or neededing normal service. Then get them to lower the price.

Ross
03-11-2007, 12:50 PM
Sounds like a dud to me. $6k is money for a good car without issues. This one sounds like a neglected or abused beater.

Ross
03-11-2007, 12:53 PM
Gee, right rear tire is bald, hmmm how could that happen? RUN from this heap!

DanDombrowski
03-11-2007, 02:34 PM
I just finished up a trailing arm job due to my right rear tire getting chewed up. Its definitely a long and not-cheap job. Figure about $500 or so at an independant shop if it needs this. As said before, there is no adjustment for the rears.

Montreal525
03-11-2007, 03:52 PM
- SRS Light came on and eventually went off after driving for a few minutes.

My car has been doing this every time and every day for the last 4 years... Is it a potential problem?

Jeff

pundit
03-11-2007, 04:06 PM
Hey Nimblecow, where are you from?
If these are US dollars then it's steep, if Aussie dollars then cheap!

Russell
03-11-2007, 05:54 PM
Reset srs light from indy or buy a reset tool for about $150. Mine came on once (would go off after a few minutes) and my indy reset for about $50. Stated if it kept coming on it would cost about $150-$250 (do not remmember exact cost) for parts and labor to remove seat.

Engine miss scares me. Could be old plugs or one of the coils is bad. If not, could be big bucks if internal parts of engine are damaged.

Bad rear tire? slick or damaged? If slick, why is only one slick? Did someone try to do burnouts???

other prices for maintainence items are in line. Looks like a lot of defered work to me.

Also, I think the purchase price is high. Gert a pre-purchase inspection in writing.

Montreal525
03-11-2007, 07:54 PM
What's with the SRS light.... Everytime I start the car, the light stays on for about 4-5 minutes and then it turns off. It's been like that since I bought the car 4 years ago and I've gotten used to it... I think I would be worried if it didn't light up.... What does it mean when the light stays on...

Jeff

BillionPa
03-11-2007, 08:34 PM
try a DME reset (if they let you) and see how the car runs after. if it gets all perky like a new car, then the O2 sensor probably needs replacing.