PDA

View Full Version : Cannot remove idler arm!

Russell
03-09-2007, 05:56 PM
I plan to repalce my idler arm with a new lemforder arm. Cannot even get the idler arm off the center link. I am using a small (and cheap) tie rod puller so as not to damage the boot.

Is there a method to use without a puller and not damage the boot? I am trying to do this with ramps and no air tools. TIA

Bellicose Right Winger
03-09-2007, 07:35 PM
Tighten the puller as much as possible and then hit the side of the idler arm with a hammer.

Paul Shovestul

I plan to repalce my idler arm with a new lemforder arm. Cannot even get the idler arm off the center link. I am using a small (and cheap) tie rod puller so as not to damage the boot.

Is there a method to use without a puller and not damage the boot? I am trying to do this with ramps and no air tools. TIA

genphreak
03-10-2007, 05:09 PM
Tighten the puller as much as possible and then hit the side of the idler arm with a hammer.

Paul ShovestulAbsolutely. The secret being not to hit the puller... I broke 2 working that out... these things have to 'spring out'. Oh yea- make sure you leave the nut on a fair way, it helps to prevent shrapnel damage...

Russell
03-11-2007, 09:03 PM
Thanks everyone. I borrowed tools (5 piece tie rod/pittman arm puller set)from Advance Auto to pop it out. see my other post.

swenpro
03-12-2007, 01:04 AM
question... is it bad that I just ordered a MEYLE idler arm from BMA?? I looked for lemforder, but they don't stock them!

632 Regal
03-12-2007, 11:51 PM
they have them but not on their site, they can get almost everything but it's just not all listed. you need to give em a call.

question... is it bad that I just ordered a MEYLE idler arm from BMA?? I looked for lemforder, but they don't stock them!

swenpro
03-13-2007, 03:27 PM
Thanks, Jeff, I e-mailed Patrick and he said it already shipped but I could still have the option of exchanging them and paying the difference.

Can I go ahead and install the MEYLE arm, or am I going to have it fail prematurely and wish I had exchanged for a LEMFORDER arm??