PDA

View Full Version : Window switch backlight stays on, kills battery

mzarifkar
03-08-2007, 11:41 AM
I have been having some sort of electrical leak that has slowly and consistently been draining my battery.

After shutting down the car, several klicks are heard coming from the relay box that is located under the rear seat. I have always suspected those clicks as being related.

now i noticed something that may be linked to this problem, my window switches backlights dont turn off, even after the car has been turned off overnight!! If i can trace back what turns these off, i am confident that any other appliances running off of this are on as well contributing to my leak.,

Is this realistic?

What should shut these lighjts off? what else is it supposed to shut off?

-m

swenpro
03-08-2007, 11:42 AM
Are you unlocking your car first, and then looking through the window? If so, the window switches will already be illuminated.

mzarifkar
03-08-2007, 12:26 PM
Are you unlocking your car first, and then looking through the window? If so, the window switches will already be illuminated.

nope, before even touching the car, after locking the car it will stay on too

shogun
03-08-2007, 12:48 PM
I will stay on up to 16 minutes.
The ones in the rear will not be iluminated when you push the little middle button at the center switch (block), which is the child lock for windows. See owners manual.

mzarifkar
03-08-2007, 01:17 PM
I will stay on up to 16 minutes.
The ones in the rear will not be iluminated when you push the little middle button at the center switch (block), which is the child lock for windows. See owners manual.

What makes it shut off after 15 minutes? Mine definatly do not shut off, even after leaving the car overnight

shogun
03-08-2007, 01:25 PM
That is controlled by the GM -general module.
Cannot imagine that these little bulbs draw so much power. Must be different thing too.
Maybe the relay module has a stuck relay?

Qube
03-08-2007, 03:41 PM
Mine stays on for 'a while' then shuts off. Again though I doubt they are causing enough of a drain for concern...

shogun
03-08-2007, 11:22 PM
Light should go out after 16 minutes, if not something is keeping the car awake, draining the battery.
Did you lock the car overnight or is it in a garage?
Because if the car is not locked, the system is still on stand-by.

shogun
Light should go out after 16 minutes, if not something is keeping the car awake, draining the battery.

shogun

shogun

shogun
03-08-2007, 11:23 PM

shogun
03-08-2007, 11:23 PM

mzarifkar
03-09-2007, 05:15 PM
Car is locked up everytime, I find it difficult to believe that the little bulbs drain the battery, but it still shows that something is not shutting down, so hopefully if i can get to what doesnt shut down these lights i can find what else stays on with a possibly higher current draw, killing my battery.

This General Module you speak of, where is it located? and what else is it supposed to shut down?

Thanks!!

mzarifkar
03-09-2007, 05:16 PM
Car is locked up everytime, I find it difficult to believe that the little bulbs drain the battery, but it still shows that something is not shutting down, so hopefully if i can get to what doesnt shut down these lights i can find what else stays on with a possibly higher current draw, killing my battery.

This General Module you speak of, where is it located? and what else is it supposed to shut down?

Thanks!!

mzarifkar
03-09-2007, 05:16 PM

Thanks!!

Ferret
03-12-2007, 11:26 AM
This thread is multi post crazy!

"Lilu Dallas, Multipass!"

I thought the lights under the window switches were an indicator as to the state of the vehicles security system post door lock?

If they're staying on, you've got some system still armed that shouldnt be switched on? They're probably indicating an entire subsystem is jammed on with a stuck relay.

If you remember most of the vehicles are fitted with window closing mechanisms, IE if you hold the key in the fully locked/deadlock position, after a few seconds the windows and sunroof start to close themselves.

I'd have a look under the rear seats for any post fit alarm system with dodgy wiring or water ingress....

mzarifkar
03-12-2007, 01:12 PM
The car has the stock BMW security system, but because i dont have a keyfob for it i have never used it for the 3+ years ive had it.

Another new occurance is that if your windows/sunroof are down and you shut the car off they all automatically close. This never happened before, as i used to leave the sunroof and windows cracked open on hot days.

This all leads me to beleive that some sort of relay is malfunctioning.

what do you guys think?

(hopefully it will only post this reply just once)

Ferret
03-13-2007, 10:11 AM
Your door lock sensor is sticking - that or you've got a short in the loom/relay that tells the auto closer to function.

That's why the lights are staying on, it thinks someone is stood there with the key held in the full lock position... try just tipping the lock to closed rather than deadlock and see if the doors auto deadlock.

(IE leave a rear door open and see if you can pull up the drivers lock from a standard lock up.)

If you cant, it's the deadlock sensor that's stuck.

Hope this makes sense.

mzarifkar
03-13-2007, 10:15 PM
that does make sense, i will try that. What would a repair entail? replacing the locks or some relay?

Ferret
03-14-2007, 07:34 AM
Hrm, diagnosis could be a bit trickey here, you need to be able to unplug the wiring harness from your door locks, but at the same time be able to lock up the car via the central locking.

I cant remember if the boot lock allows you to do this... if it does, pull the wiring from both your front door locks and then lock the central locking via your key in the boot...

Can anyone comment as to whether the door locks and the central locking motors are electrically separate?

As a side thought, you could have water in there causing a short...