PDA

View Full Version : fan clutch nut (QUICK QUESTION)

panzershreck
05-01-2004, 07:26 PM
in the process of replacing all the belts and water pump, have really run into a wall... Bentley manual explains it as this:

(170-12)

"1. Place a 32 mm wrench on the fan clutch nut. Strike wrench quickly in a clockwise direction (working from the front of the car) to loosen nut. Spin fan off pump."

now... what exactly is it saying? is there some trick to it?

George M
05-01-2004, 07:40 PM
quick answer...listen to Bentley and you are free. The thread is left handed. A thinner than normal 32mm open end wrench works best.
George

Mitch90535im
05-01-2004, 07:56 PM
quick answer...listen to Bentley and you are free. The thread is left handed. A thinner than normal 32mm open end wrench works best.
George

Any good sources for that 32mm "thinner than normal" open end wrench.

(I'm going to be replacing my radiator next weekend)

winfred
05-01-2004, 07:57 PM
wack a 32mm wrench hard with a blunt object towards the left side of the car (usa drivers side) from the top

dave b
05-01-2004, 08:05 PM
Any good sources for that 32mm "thinner than normal" open end wrench.

(I'm going to be replacing my radiator next weekend)
I use a bike headset tool - 32mm on one end. Any bike shop will have it.

Check your nut before you spend the $$ - you won't need the thin one unless you have a newer fan clutch with a thin nut.

Chris H
05-01-2004, 08:28 PM
A lot of us E28 guys have bitten the bullet and bought the slim wrench and fan clutch pulley holder from Bavarian Autosport. The wrench goes for $22.95 and the pulley holder goes for $32.95. Pricey, but they're worth their weight in gold. I've tried removing fan clutches the Bentley way and with these tools, and I have to say, these tools are a godsend. But, if you don't have the cash or just don't want to spend that kind of money, some people have made their own slim wrenches by grinding down a regular 32mm wrench and using a screwdriver to hold the fan clutch in place (IOW, they wedged the screwdriver in between two of the bolts on the pulley). HTH.

Chris H
'83 533i
'90 535i

BTW, Bavarian Autosport's website is www.bavauto.com.

winfred
05-01-2004, 09:13 PM
i made my own holder, i got tired of breaking and welding the crappy ast unit, id post a pic but cox member services seems to be down at the moment, i've beaten the hell outta mine and not broken it (some people don't relize that thing tightens it's self and don't need to be assed down, i've had some so tight i had to kill the water pump in a vice to save the clutch, just bump the wrench with your hand that's ALL IT NEEDS) if anybody wants one ill make and sell one for $25 + s/h

Jr ///M5
05-01-2004, 09:20 PM
If you don't have a 32mm wrench, an 1 1/4" wrench will work also, providing it is slim enough to fit.