PDA

View Full Version : Pics of my e34 540i touring

leicesterboy15
03-06-2007, 06:52 PM
I finally got a chance to get some pics of my car, its pretty much as I bought it really including the fake m5 badge (this will be the first thing to go) other than the stainless exhaust and the black grille.

It took me a while to find this car but I think it was worth it, condition wise its the best one I looked at by far, inside and out. Its a 1996 car but I believe its 1 of only 10 cars registered on a 1997 plate.

Not too sure about the wheels, opinions are split at the moment, I've got a set of BBS split rims that I will probably put on and an m5 body kit (definately the rear bumper, side skirts already there not sure about the front bumper yet).

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e97/brighterbuys/Img_2002noplate.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e97/brighterbuys/Img_2008noplate.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e97/brighterbuys/IMG_2024.jpg

Macv
03-06-2007, 07:03 PM
Looks good, auto?

What's the plate "R" stand for? Did you just mark out your numbers?

leicesterboy15
03-06-2007, 07:15 PM
The R means it was registered between Sep 1997 and Aug 1998, the rest of the numbers have just been marked out. The last e34s were on a P plate (registered between Sep 1996 and Aug 1997). This one was 'found' in the back of the Rolls Royce factory in Crewe UK along with 9 other black 540i Tourings and offered at a discounted price to existing Rolls Royce customers - all documented, no lie! They just 'forgot' about these 10 cars and nobody thought to ask for a whole year!

Its an Auto, I looked good and hard for a 6 speed manual but there were rare as rocking horse sh1te and the good ones were going for silly money, well into e39 territory. The 6 speed manuals that were in my price range were dogs so I opted for an auto, I am very pleased actually as its so smooth but sometimes when I'm in the car with no kids I miss the fun you can have with a manual. Still theres always sport mode :-)

BigKriss
03-06-2007, 09:35 PM
how much was it?

Nick.Hay
03-07-2007, 01:52 AM
Man, that is SEXY as hell!!

Nice pick up!!

leicesterboy15
03-07-2007, 05:07 AM
Cost me £3000 all together which is top dollar for an e34 over here. I did think about an M5 but I needed an estate and as its my daily driver I didn't think I could afford the running costs of an M5 seeing as it would need to be at least 17 years old for this money.

Car had 120k when I got it, engine & Gearbox sweet, interior is rare nappa leather and mint. Has Adaptive box, cruise, elec wheel adjust, TV, DVD, SatNav, Multi CD, IPod connection so you can control the IPod through the screen, 2 screens - keeps kids very happy on long journeys, highly recommended, auto climate (at the expense of the dual sunroof unfortunately), dual airbags, the only thing I can see it doesn't have are electric heated seats. I have been looking around for electric seats but I can't find any in as good condition as mine for a good price, I saw one set but they were £500 which I can't justify for seats when mine are so good - a chip definately but not seats.

Have had a new water pump, battery, radiator, fan, replaced intake manifold gaskets and PCV plate and usual servicing since I got it. I fear that its getting to that mileage where its still got many of the original parts and they will need replacing soon but I plan to keep the car long term so anything that needs doing I will do.

Has a leaky fuel pipe at the moment (only when over 3/4 of a tank) so thats the next job.

Dave M
03-07-2007, 06:26 AM
Very nice find, and quite a price (at least for us NA folks).

Just to state the obvious, and because I'm a bit jealous ;) :

You've got a black on black (I'm biased) M60 powered touring, already blacked out (grille). Paint looks great, interior looks great, TV/DVD for the kids. Booyahh.

However, the rims would look really awesome on.............. another car ;) Try the BBSs you've got. I do like the rims on your 535 as well.

Dave

leicesterboy15
03-07-2007, 07:57 AM
Thank you for your kind words!

The rims on the 535i were a quick and cheap option to the 15in rims I had on before, they were too much of a bargain to pass up but they look good in the flesh and suit the car I think.

I too think the rims on the touring don't really suit the e34, I think you need chunky alloys on an e34 like the BBS Split Rims (with some exceptions like the Momo Arrows!) These wheels seem too contoured and shapely if you know what I mean. But my missus prefers these and so do some of my friends, I think I will end up swapping them out though.

leicesterboy15
03-07-2007, 07:59 AM
Dave M - Just read your signature 520k km? That is superb, does your counter actually say 520k?

Dave M
03-07-2007, 09:02 AM
Dave M - Just read your signature 520k km? That is superb, does your counter actually say 520k?

Sure does. I think I'd have advertise it as a "high mileage" vehicle. Not that I plan on selling it.

dbals
03-07-2007, 09:24 AM
Love the car, but the wheels got to go. Something staggered would look hot.

Sidney Rough-Diamond
03-07-2007, 12:59 PM
Very nice . I wanted a 540 Touring with a manual box, very hard to find good ones. I think they made less than 80 RHD 540/6 Tourings.