PDA

View Full Version : Which e34s have power steering filters?

Russell
05-01-2004, 02:46 PM
I have presumed that my car does not as I thought only cars with self leveling such as many tourings have the filter. is this correct?

George M
05-01-2004, 07:36 PM
a good question...this has been a point of controversy before on the board. Speculation is that even some of the plastic bottle reservoirs on non LAD cars had a filter in the bottom. Perhaps your best bet is to consult the ETK with your VIN no. to learn what reservoir type you have. You also maybe able to tell by measuring the outside depth of your reservoir and compare it to a depth test on the inside of the bottle. If inside depth is less than the overall outside height of the reservoir by an inch or so...likely you have a screen in the bottom.
A very good practice to replace this filter on a higher mileage car BTW.
HTH,
George

Russell
05-01-2004, 08:22 PM
No filter seemed to indicated anywhere for any power steering sytems for my car. Think I will check by vin next.

BTW, I replaced my PS fluid with Mobil 1 syntheric ATF several months ago as I felt it may have never been changed. I syponed(sp) it out with a turkey baster several times.

a good question...this has been a point of controversy before on the board. Speculation is that even some of the plastic bottle reservoirs on non LAD cars had a filter in the bottom. Perhaps your best bet is to consult the ETK with your VIN no. to learn what reservoir type you have. You also maybe able to tell by measuring the outside depth of your reservoir and compare it to a depth test on the inside of the bottle. If inside depth is less than the overall outside height of the reservoir by an inch or so...likely you have a screen in the bottom.
A very good practice to replace this filter on a higher mileage car BTW.
HTH,
George

Marshy
05-02-2004, 12:50 AM
Incidentally, Bently seems to indicate that if you've got the big metal cannister with the filter in the top, you've got LAD.

Seems that, in europe at least, it can also mean you've got servotronic power steering. Until I found that out, I was beginning to worry that I had LAD on my car.