PDA

View Full Version : Poll - Protecting Your Investment

slvre34
03-06-2007, 12:31 AM
I recently experienced the joy of having a clueless driver hit me from behind only to have the insurance company appraise the car for a lot less than I have into it. I now have to decide whether to do the bare minimum repair covered by insurance or whether to throw in the extra money to get the whole thing repainted, 'cause it will never look right if I wait and paint it later.

So I'm wondering how you all handle the problem of putting money into your e34s, knowing that you run the risk of loss should you get in an accident.

karmann
03-08-2007, 06:00 PM
Hit from behind and the insurance wants to take you for a ride huh......
hmmmmmmmm Hows your neck feelin?....:))

SharkmanBMW
03-08-2007, 06:10 PM
whiplash???
ribs hurt where the seat belt dug in???!!!
Headaches?
dizzy???

**** them before they **** you!

(just kidding - I don't condone misrepresenting anything, to anyone.:p )

Robin-535im
03-08-2007, 06:49 PM
It's not just a car, it's a hobby. Take every chance you get to make it better... pay a little extra and get it fixed up nice. Work with the body work guy and tell him what you want to do, sometimes they can be "flexible" with the quotation if there is extra work you're paying for out of your own pocket.

Make sure the Ins Co doesn't total the car and don't be afraid to call them up and persuade them as to the true value of the car. Be nice and don't let them off the phone until they have turned over every rock trying to find ways to increase the car value.

OTOH, when the car is really totaled by some jerk, say some kind words and move on to the next car. There are lots of nice cars out there.