PDA

View Full Version : Ok, the pinging isn't all gone. What gives?

BennyM
05-01-2004, 01:32 PM
So I said that after 2 tanks of techron, the pinging had disappeared. And it did, for a week. Now it comes back intermittently, and usually more subtly. I think it's relative to outside temperature. It wasn't noticeable on Wed with 90 F, but was on Thurs with 40 F.

Anyway, how many consecutive tanks can I fill with techron?

And when I change my oil later this week, will that get rid of the crud that's causing the occasional ping? Also, I'm gonna try the 0W40 instead of the 15W50 this time.

Thanks.

BennyM

632 Regal
05-01-2004, 03:47 PM
what octane fuel are you using?

BennyM
05-01-2004, 04:22 PM
what octane fuel are you using?

winfred
05-01-2004, 09:02 PM
id look for vacuum leaks and other things that can screw with the mixture, how bout plugs? i like BKR6EK NGK or F7LDCR bosch in a m42/50/52/60/62. one thing i've been doing lately is steam cleaning the motor, i get the motor up to full temp then find a vacuum nipple (the one for the fpr will do) and hook about a 1/8 vacuum line to it that is long enough to get into about a pint container, work the throttle with your hand or get a helper to rev it to around 2k rpm and let it start sucking water from the container, the motor will start to bog down give it more gas and or pull the tube out of the water (after you've done it a few times you learn how to ballence the throttle while feeding water) the car will fart out a cloud of steam and if it was real cruddy, oil smoke from all the crap it broke loose (these cars i do a 2nd time) then a italian tune up and it runs and idles like a champ (if there's nothing else wrong). i saw this procedure once using vental sauber (valve clean) from lubro moly, they wanted you to let the motor stall right at the end of the container to leave the valves wet and soaking for around 10 minutes then restart (with a ton of smoke)

disclaimer, if you get carried away and stupedity strikes it aint my fault i didn't perform the treatment

ryan roopnarine
05-04-2004, 06:17 AM
i doubt that changing oil is going to get rid of ping. i think you have two choices now (as i've just finished the 44k, and can speak about it)

find a price for a FI cleaning at a place you like, keep cost in mind

weigh against

cost of two bottles of techron, plus, my suggestion, the 44k (which is about 15-19 by itself) or another 2 bottles of techron

the 44k had pwned the ping in my 90 degree temp car within 400 miles, something that the techron or ventil sauber alone had never been able to do. what ever you decide to do, i'd keep off the oil change until after you do it.

So I said that after 2 tanks of techron, the pinging had disappeared. And it did, for a week. Now it comes back intermittently, and usually more subtly. I think it's relative to outside temperature. It wasn't noticeable on Wed with 90 F, but was on Thurs with 40 F.

And when I change my oil later this week, will that get rid of the crud that's causing the occasional ping? Also, I'm gonna try the 0W40 instead of the 15W50 this time.

Thanks.

BennyM

Warren N.CA
05-04-2004, 03:01 PM
I am suggesting ITALIAN TUNEUPS whenever it starts. I did mine Sunday. Only took about less than a minute of sustained 5500 RPM on the Freeway. Now it's all better again. I think M30s are prone to picking up carbon deposits. Auto will be worst because less likelyhood you will wind high revs very often

QUOTE=BennyM]So I said that after 2 tanks of techron, the pinging had disappeared. And it did, for a week. Now it comes back intermittently, and usually more subtly. I think it's relative to outside temperature. It wasn't noticeable on Wed with 90 F, but was on Thurs with 40 F.

Thanks.

BennyM[/QUOTE]

BennyM
05-04-2004, 05:14 PM
i doubt that changing oil is going to get rid of ping. i think you have two choices now (as i've just finished the 44k, and can speak about it)

find a price for a FI cleaning at a place you like, keep cost in mind

weigh against

cost of two bottles of techron, plus, my suggestion, the 44k (which is about 15-19 by itself) or another 2 bottles of techron

the 44k had pwned the ping in my 90 degree temp car within 400 miles, something that the techron or ventil sauber alone had never been able to do. what ever you decide to do, i'd keep off the oil change until after you do it.

BennyM
05-04-2004, 05:16 PM
If I get enough guts, I'll try it on my engine.

ryan roopnarine
05-04-2004, 10:02 PM
you'd have to likely call car dealerships to find a source for it, as bg doesn't sell in autoparts stores.

i'd try chevy, then mercedes, then bmw, then cold call until you find it. i found it locally from the bmw dealership for 17.99 plus tax.

BennyM
05-04-2004, 10:41 PM
BTW, I found an online store that was selling a $9 book on how to run your engine with 44K for best results. I assume it's the high RPMs as Warren mentioned, no?

Unregistered
05-05-2004, 12:04 AM
try and get sustained rpms of 3K or higher for several minutes. I had terrible pinging on an old 91 Ford Exploder and I ran high rpms for 15 minutes on the highway and eliminated 95% of it. I only get it at WOT now.

ryan roopnarine
05-05-2004, 06:09 AM
the book thing probably says something about high rpms, but i think that more likely it gives somewhat non intuitive tips, like to use one can of the 44, and then use another upon the next tank of gas, or perhaps it has instructions on how to do the induction service winfred outlines.. i think i've seen the book before, and its along the lines of what i describe.

my only gripe with the stuff thusfar is that i guess it has worked its way into my oil, and is making me consume about 1/10 of a quart per 400 miles, whereas my car doesn't normally use more than 3/4 quart between 6k oil changes. techron never made the oil go away like this, and im contemplating doing an oil change if consumption keeps up, and uses more than 2 quarts before 6k.

BTW, I found an online store that was selling a $9 book on how to run your engine with 44K for best results. I assume it's the high RPMs as Warren mentioned, no?

Bill R.
05-05-2004, 07:59 AM
cleaning until the last tank of gas just before an oil change, then drive that tank with the cleaner in it, refill and change the oil right away...

the book thing probably says something about high rpms, but i think that more likely it gives somewhat non intuitive tips, like to use one can of the 44, and then use another upon the next tank of gas, or perhaps it has instructions on how to do the induction service winfred outlines.. i think i've seen the book before, and its along the lines of what i describe.

my only gripe with the stuff thusfar is that i guess it has worked its way into my oil, and is making me consume about 1/10 of a quart per 400 miles, whereas my car doesn't normally use more than 3/4 quart between 6k oil changes. techron never made the oil go away like this, and im contemplating doing an oil change if consumption keeps up, and uses more than 2 quarts before 6k.