PDA

View Full Version : Small photo of the damage

rob101
03-05-2007, 03:33 AM
now my cover has shattered on top i think due to the rear ending, but i am not sure whether the carrier is okay. it wasn't a major shunt here is what it looks like. I assume the white part underneath the shatter bits of the cover is the carrier is this correct. What a PITA but i am trying to make something good come of it I will try and get a touch up while its at the body shop.

The Bigfella
03-05-2007, 04:13 AM
Ouch

BillionPa
03-05-2007, 05:13 AM
that'll buff right out.

rob101
03-05-2007, 05:44 AM
now my cover has shattered on top i think due to the rear ending, but i am not sure whether the carrier is okay. it wasn't a major shunt here is what it looks like. I assume the white part underneath the shatter bits of the bumper cover is the carrier is this correct?
I did ask a question it would be nice to get an answer also.

and yes i have looked at real oem however the diagrams aren't 100% clear to me.
so if anyone could enlighten me on whether the white part underneath the bumper cover (you can see it peaking through the calypso on the photo on the topside of the bumper) is actually the carrier and not part of the cover that would be appreciated. I am trying to sort out some parts (in case that wasn't obvious from the 2 threads i have started about it):(

billy
03-05-2007, 06:53 AM
I did ask a question it would be nice to get an answer also.

and yes i have looked at real oem however the diagrams aren't 100% clear to me.
so if anyone could enlighten me on whether the white part underneath the bumper cover (you can see it peaking through the calypso on the photo on the topside of the bumper) is actually the carrier and not part of the cover that would be appreciated. I am trying to sort out some parts (in case that wasn't obvious from the 2 threads i have started about it):(

try scratching the 'white' part, if its metal it is the carrier, if not its part of the cover

rob101
03-05-2007, 03:52 PM
try scratching the 'white' part, if its metal it is the carrier, if not its part of the cover
yeah i think its polymer, so that means i'll probably only be up for a cover thats good, that is to say, the other guys insurance will be paying of course. still just one of those things i'd recently fixed a nagging coolant loss issue and just replaced my crap tyres with good ones and this happened.

Now I have an accute paranoia of people tailgating me, on the way home from the accident some stupid bitch was tailgating me for ages. I speed up slow down speed up slow down. Why are people so stupid she just didn't get a message? People like that well, they are whats wrong with qld's roads.

LunatiC
03-05-2007, 03:56 PM
Now I have an accute paranoia of people tailgating me, on the way home from the accident some stupid bitch was tailgating me for ages.

Get a tow bar/hook/horsecock. They tend to keep their distance when they see one.

Boom n Zoom
03-05-2007, 11:38 PM
When did this happen??

That is such a shame mate, I will do some looking for a boot lid and a rear bumper cover with clips.

It looks as though it just the cover and not the subframe of the bumper. I don't know but it would be reasonable to assume that the bumpers subframe would be fairly strong.

rob101
03-06-2007, 12:01 AM
When did this happen??

That is such a shame mate, I will do some looking for a boot lid and a rear bumper cover with clips.

It looks as though it just the cover and not the subframe of the bumper. I don't know but it would be reasonable to assume that the bumpers subframe would be fairly strong.
last friday someone I was literally at a standstill at the entrance to a round about waiting to go then bag a pajero ran into me, bloody moronic. I've been doing some snooping around and luckily his insurance is covering it. but i am going to my own dude he is good with metal work, but i will see if i can get him to fix up some stone chips for a few extra bob also.

was actually on the way to get new tyres fitted straight which is good because the previous ones were probably flat spotted.

genphreak
03-06-2007, 06:07 AM
How are the gaps around the boot? They should be perfect, if any change there, you could be in poo, but I doubt you have trouble. The rear bumper is shocked, so most of the hit is taken by the subframe... I would strip the carpet from the trunk and remove the bumper cover to work it out.

Sounds like you need only worry that much if the car was literally shunted a little aginast the brakes.

Yes the white plastic is part of the bumper cover. Get a second hand cover, alluminiium beam and so on.

I'd suggest you get a quote from the dealer for the parts at trade so you can be prepared to fight the bastard insurance company who will insist that their shop do it as they will only charge for 3 kg of bog and a coat of incorrect paint, the **** they get in and under it is probabaly added at no charge to the insurance company and if so you'll just have to live with it.

If they do insist you use their shop, make sure the poor panel beater knows you will go over the car w a fine tooth comb before they quote on it. If they know your the type to bring it back for bad paint or dodgey fit AND write letters they will know not to underquote on it and end up shaftin' you.

I had a 4WD fly out of the RH lane to tailgate me downhill in the LH lane a few weeks back- an old one, they type that was raised, sway bars removed and still running drum brakes. I wondered what he would have done if I had been about to turn left like I could have been and indicated late like many do. 3' from my bumper he'd have been lucky not to have not scored a direct hit before his foot reached his dodgey pedal. If he'd miraculously been able to brake, he'd have taken out 5 cars (and me) in the process of trying to avoid the inevitable. Now I would have indicated and dabbed my brakes if I didn't think someone would have been hurt- it might be fun to give someone a scare but it's never worth the risk. These types will be lucky to learn after hitting a few people at low speed (one hopes).

Good on ya for taking the hit mate, I hope it works out. Sure looks ok- these cars are damn solid.

Whatever you do, when you take it in, don't let them have the boot carpets- they will do the job better if it is simple and they can't cover up the overspray!

:) Nick

Incantation
03-06-2007, 11:30 AM
yea the white is the carrier

unfortunately the rear piece is one solid unit.. if you can't fix it (not likely unfortunately) you'll have to replace. if they suggest filling it with bondo i would walk away because the cracked bit floats on the carrier.. if it gets hit you will be back to square one

what a shxtty spot to be hit.. 3 panels damaged :\

rob101
03-06-2007, 03:45 PM
Yes the white plastic is part of the bumper cover. Get a second hand cover, alluminiium beam and so on.

I'd suggest you get a quote from the dealer for the parts at trade so you can be prepared to fight the bastard insurance company who will insist that their shop do it as they will only charge for 3 kg of bog and a coat of incorrect paint, the **** they get in and under it is probabaly added at no charge to the insurance company and if so you'll just have to live with it.

I will be using my own guy and thats all they need to know basically i am not going to take it to someone who I don't know, this guy is very skilled at metal work so it should be all sweet. And i helped him with parts once before so yeah should be okay.
I am still a bit cut though, my neck was stiff for 3 days from the whiplash.

filip00
03-06-2007, 04:34 PM
i have a perfect rear hood for your car, but you're on the other side of the globe! :D

rob101
03-07-2007, 08:51 PM
First quote is in: $4500 all up:)