PDA

View Full Version : Help removing door handle trim...

Bigezvol
05-01-2004, 01:17 PM
I have new rubber to put behind the door handle trim pieces, but I am not sure how to remove the plastic trim around the door handle.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

George M
05-01-2004, 01:25 PM
Open each door and at the same level as the door handle on the back of each door is an oblong hole with a rubber grommet in it. Remove the grommet and you will see a lever/latch that secures the outer door handle cover to the outer door skin. Use a long narrow blade screw driver through the oblong hole to move the latch to one side to remove retention of the handle cover. Installation is reverse of the former :-)
HTH,
George

Bigezvol
05-01-2004, 02:58 PM
Thanks Goerge, found it right after I posted. I sometimes forget to listen to the other side of my brain it think to look at directions.

Got them installed. They make the door handles look much better.

Super90
05-01-2004, 08:46 PM
George, can one replace the whole handle the same way?!

Mine are looking a little ratty. That seal is shot, and needs to be replaced, but I was thinking about just replacing the whole handle. Or is that much more difficult?

TIA

winfred
05-01-2004, 09:20 PM
gotta take the door apart, and the handle assy is pricey

George, can one replace the whole handle the same way?!

Mine are looking a little ratty. That seal is shot, and needs to be replaced, but I was thinking about just replacing the whole handle. Or is that much more difficult?

TIA

Super90
05-01-2004, 10:42 PM
Part# for the seals? Last time I asked, I think Patrick at BMA said they don't sell those seals separately. I seem to remember him saying you had to buy the whole handle assembly. Anyone have a part# for just the seals?

Thanks,

Paul in NZ
05-02-2004, 06:10 AM
my latch slides forward to release the outer trim and dlides back to secure