PDA

View Full Version : Oetiker clamps + CV boots = grrr

Jeff N.
03-04-2007, 09:10 AM
#$%@&! clamps! Does anyone have a solution for these things (otherwise known as a single ear clamp)?

Here's the problem - doing a CV joint rebuild on the project car. The CV kit comes with a Oetiker clamp for the inner part of the boot where it touches the shaft.

If I try to put the clamp over the boot and slide the boot on - it won't fit. Too tight.

If I slide the clamp on in advance and then put on the boot, I can't get the clamp over the boot without opening it. If I open the clamp to get it over the boot, then I can't get it re-hooked to crimp it shut.

Grrr.

Is there a trick I am missing? What's a good clamping solution for these things short of a cheesy hose clamp?

thx!

Jeff

BobHarris
03-04-2007, 10:14 AM
Cable ties work really well, Use a pair of side cutters to "walk" the tie up really tight before you cut the end off.

Blitzkrieg Bob
03-04-2007, 09:59 PM
out of a cheap pair of needle nose pliers.

dremel a tooth to fit the clamp on the tips then bend them inward like a claw.

or if your clamps don't have a hole or dimple to grab, then place them on and use a hose clamp to compress them until they engage.

Mr Project
03-05-2007, 02:45 PM
They make a special tool for crimping these clamps. I picked one up, I think just at Sears, maybe at Autozone or something. With that tool, I found that I could 'afford' to spread the actual 'clamp' section out slightly with some needle-nose pliers, allowing me just enough size to get everything assembled, and then still get a good crimp with the special tool.

Yes, on a PS rack I've used nice big zip ties to good effect. A CV would make me a little more nervous, but I suppose as long as it's a good-quality tie...