PDA

View Full Version : My pad is larger than the rotor

BigKriss
03-03-2007, 11:06 PM
I just noticed today. Are there any negatives to this setup? Almost all the pads are this size. I say almost becasue over on m5board.com in their e34 section they talked about ferodo pads that where slightly smaller in size. http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=967638&postcount=38

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/7528/breake1ym5.jpg

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/3227/brake2kg7.jpg

winfred
03-03-2007, 11:13 PM
i doubt it will hurt anything as long as the hang over doesn't get into some place bad

genphreak
03-04-2007, 04:35 AM
Enjoy life on the bleeding edge Kristian!

Just think, at least you are getting full the bang for your boot. I hate it when my pads miss out on the last mm of full circumference bite. What is with that kinda design??? Hmmm

pundit
03-04-2007, 11:05 PM
Enjoy life on the bleeding edge Kristian!

Just think, at least you are getting full the bang for your boot. I hate it when my pads miss out on the last mm of full circumference bite. What is with that kinda design??? Hmmm
My guess is incorrect rotors.

BigKriss
03-05-2007, 01:59 AM
The rotors are correct, the right size is 324x30.

My guess is incorrect rotors.

Alexlind123
03-05-2007, 02:15 AM
The rotors are correct, the right size is 324x30.

I think pundit was responding to genphreak's post.

Paul in NZ
03-05-2007, 03:27 AM
they will be hard to get out when they are worn out,there will be a huge lip which you will have to force the piston ALL the way back,you will prolly overflow the master cylinder resevoir

tim
03-07-2007, 09:47 AM
they will be hard to get out when they are worn out,there will be a huge lip which you will have to force the piston ALL the way back,you will prolly overflow the master cylinder resevoir

I had this problem, but disconnecting the brake line, opening the bleed screw and putting an overflow tube on it allows you fully compress the piston without dealing with the reservoir. Bleed thoroughly when reattaching.

genphreak
03-17-2007, 09:39 PM
I can find larger rotors from a Range Rover 3 4.3L V8, but the overall height is 76.2mm, compared to the current rotor of 73.5mm. I'm assuming the rotor won't work because of the difference in height. The rotor is larger at 344x30mm. Am I right in thinking that the added height of the rotor, 2.7mm won't make it fit properly onto the car? The central hole diameter is the same at 79mm.Well obviously it risks de-centreing the caliper and getting a 2.7mm less throw on one side, 2.7mm more on the other. I guess the pistons will (under pressure) manage it, but there might be a problem when the pads wear out... or (for some reason I can't imagine) you may gt more force on one side of the rotor and end up with warped rotors... but i can't see how it would matter on the face of it...

btw Kriss, when is the head coming off? ;) Nick

BigKriss
03-17-2007, 09:50 PM
I'm wondering if the caliper will fit onto the rotor if the rotor is higher. The head is coming off in 2 weeks time. The rotor is the same width so it will fit in the calipers, but I'm assuming the setup won't fit properly.

Well obviously it risks de-centreing the caliper and getting a 2.7mm less throw on one side, 2.7mm more on the other. I guess the pistons will (under pressure) manage it, but there might be a problem when the pads wear out... or (for some reason I can't imagine) you may gt more force on one side of the rotor and end up with warped rotors... but i can't see how it would matter on the face of it...

btw Kriss, when is the head coming off? ;) Nick

genphreak
03-18-2007, 08:31 AM
I'm wondering if the caliper will fit onto the rotor if the rotor is higher. The head is coming off in 2 weeks time. The rotor is the same width so it will fit in the calipers, but I'm assuming the setup won't fit properly.What I reckon is that the caliper has 2.7mm leeway (if not 5mm) but that ultimately it means that the calper is not centred over the rotor any more (ie being 2.7mm offset to one side due to the different hat 'height') Kriss, if you can hang on, I'll ask a freind, he has plenty of experience with such things. :) Nick