PDA

View Full Version : Very Happy with my 525i!

t.wak
03-02-2007, 10:57 AM
Just got back from a night out with the boys, and as I was the designated driver, we took the E34 out and hit the highway to travel to a mates place.

While on the highway in pitch black, sitting on 100kmph, highbeams on; out the corner of my eye I see a bloody cow on the road!! Quickly swerve half off the road, then back on, and I was -extremely- impressed with how stable and safe the car felt while doing this type of manouvre.

I tell you what, my passengers were even more impressed (two kissed the car afterwards).

Turns out that there were two FULL SIZED cows on the highway.. I contacted the police, and they went out the to try to get rid of them. Could've caused a very nasty situation.

Hal
03-02-2007, 12:22 PM
That's a lot more than your typical deer.

Average cow weight (http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/natres/06102.html) courtesy of our friends at Colorado State. I have not tried to weigh one myself.

Hal

1994 530iT 163,000 mi Nikasil powered
1998 528 iT 93,000 mi non-Nikasil powered

etcetera
03-03-2007, 08:32 PM
I have personally seen the end result of a car hitting a cow. Worse than hitting a brick wall or tree in my opinion. 2000lbs of beef end up in the passenger compartment at a high rate of speed. Everyone was dead when we found the car. Something to be avoided at all cost if you are traveling at even a moderate speed.

My experience is with Holsteins milking cows and I think they are quite a bit heavier than the average.

Macv
03-03-2007, 09:26 PM
A friend of mine totalled her truck on a cow. I thought it was halarious until I thought about how serious it could have been.

Arxon
03-04-2007, 05:47 AM
Two yaers ago same accident on a bridge....very bad crash

LunatiC
03-04-2007, 01:58 PM
I had done the same at an intersection some time ago, with a car on oncoming traffic deciding to dart across the road as soon as I entered the intersection, causing me to lock my steering wheel right then left in one smooth motion.

The E34 handled the task like a champ and to this day I am thankful and surprised that I got away with that so easily, and with no damage except for maybe my heart muscle pumping harder than normal.

I suppose it's no cow, but the Holden Commodore i was dodging would be pretty bad to hit anyway :P

Michael999
03-05-2007, 04:33 AM
A friend at work hit a cow in his brand new Mazda 6.

2 Weeks after he bought the car he went on a trip and in soem farmland he hit a cow, destroyed the front of his car, he was fine.
The cow jumped up and ran down a hill never to be seen.

So he had alot of trouble with the insurance, because he didnt know who the owner was, as the cow had run away after totaling his car :P