PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have/used a G-Tech?

Robin-535im
03-02-2007, 12:03 AM
Thinking of getting some more accurate feedback than just my butt...

Do they work okay? Issues, quirks, worth $300?

Loads of them on Ebay for cheaper.

TIA

- Robin

RallyD
03-02-2007, 08:26 AM
I got one of the first generation models when it came out.
It was easy to use once i figured out how to zero out the accelerometer.
It's results are quite accurate as long as the weight of the vehicle that one inputs is correct. I am fortunate to have access to a large scale that I weigh my cars on prior to using the G-tech.

I am actually considering purchasing one of the newer models that has the datalogging feature.

Martin in Bellevue
03-02-2007, 09:35 AM
Jeff has one. It seems like a good tool providing relative acceleration info. The output is easily fudged with the vehicle weight factor; you can input a high weight to mimic the marketing of metric mechanic.

Robin-535im
03-02-2007, 10:03 AM
...you can input a high weight to mimic the marketing of metric mechanic.

How about a Dinan Horse Power (DHP) setting? :)

I think it would be GREAT to have real data, I'm talking 5-10 runs, averaged, with mean and variance calculated,for all these mods. Chip, MAP, fan delete, cam, headers, etc... imagine REAL DATA that shows how much/little each mod gives!

Martin in Bellevue
03-02-2007, 10:16 AM
I'm trying to get the m3 on a dyno. I'm in Serrano, Ca (between Placerville & Sacramento). There is 1 indy bmw shop with a new-to-them mustang dyno & it isn't set up yet. Dyno's seem to be scarce around here.
Honestly, each of those mods listed, prolly isn't good for more than 20 combined horsepower, on a great day. The afm delete is, I think, the best way to gain some useable torque.

Qube
03-02-2007, 10:24 AM
Works great with our electrical system. I have the SS and RR.

Turbo Ready
03-02-2007, 08:18 PM
Works great with our electrical system. I have the SS and RR.

They work really well on the older BMW's like the e34. I have the latest one and really like it. I did a series of tests on the new cars and some experiments, got it to work half decent but still had RPM pick up difficulties. The main problem with the newer cars is that the noise filters on the electrical system is so good, it does not trigger the Gtech pro especially in the lower RPM band. I am in touch with a guy who is writing some amazing third party software for it. You will be able to do a video overlay with the data logged information embedded. By doing so, you can see what you car is doing in the vid and the data, like RPM, G-Forces, speed, 1/4 mile etc. at the same time.

I have created a new forum dedicated to this since GTech pro no longer offers support for it.

See here for forum http://bmw.turboready.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=20

There is a vid on the forum showing some basic stuff that can be done, keep looking here for updates.

Jeff N.
03-03-2007, 04:49 PM
hoser.