PDA

View Full Version : anybody have or know of a deal on a laptop?

winfred
03-01-2007, 08:10 PM
figured id toss out the question here for shits and giggles, i am transitioning from want to need

indierthanthou
03-01-2007, 08:17 PM
get a mac

onZedge
03-01-2007, 08:32 PM
Hey, that's a good question. I'd like to get a "disposable" (read: cheeeeep) laptop with wireless Ethernet capability for my basement workshop. Things tend to fall/get knocked off my workbench on occasion. But I guess that only happens to me!

DanDombrowski
03-01-2007, 08:42 PM
if there wasn't an immediate deal that I knew of (black friday, memorial day, etc), I'd check out fatwallet.com

winfred
03-01-2007, 08:51 PM
had a mac, built a fast pc and now i feel much better, actually i had several macs and got tired of needing to search for software and having **** in general being designed for everyones computer but me and the other 5-10% of us mac goobers. **** it, more power to bill gates :D

get a mac

DanDombrowski
03-01-2007, 08:53 PM
oh, and I've heard that both CompUSSR and CircuitCity are closing a LOT of their stores soon. Haven't heard anything about closeout sales, but they certainly aint gonna RAISE the price.

LunatiC
03-01-2007, 08:55 PM
had a mac, built a fast pc and now i feel much better, actually i had several macs and got tired of needing to search for software and having **** in general being designed for everyones computer but me and the other 5-10% of us mac goobers. **** it, more power to bill gates :D

Macs can run Windows and OS X alongside each other at the same time now. Handy when you're a web developer and need to test your website out in Internet Explorer for Windows...

If you are looking for a machine that is rugged, forget getting a laptop. Everything is so delicate with these machines, and things can get broken if you don't 'baby' the machine.

Either that or get a Dell, at least when it breaks, it was so cheap to buy you can afford to replace the whole machine again rather than repairing it.

Derek A.
03-01-2007, 10:21 PM
I got a used Dell D600 from these folks.

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZctsystemsdirectQQhtZ-1

they are starting to come off lease so the prices have dropped and the parts supply is plentiful

MBXB
03-01-2007, 10:22 PM
Try www.dealpc.com or www.dealmac.com

Robin-535im
03-01-2007, 11:48 PM
I've bought my last half dozen PC/laptops from the Dell outlet site.

http://www.dell.com/content/products/category.aspx/notebooks?c=us&cs=22&l=en&s=dfh

Surf for a week or two and get a handle for what a good deal is and what you want, e.g., 17 inch screen, 2Gb ram, DVD writer, etc. They upload new systems a few times a week, and there are some fantastic deals. Every few weeks the "free" thing changes: shipping, increased warranty, $200 off, etc.

If you've been watching the list for a week or two you'll be able see what a real good deal is for the system you want. Plop it in your cart as soon as you see it, grab a few at a time if you want, then read through it closely - they're all different. It's kind of a feeding frenzy when the good systems pop up so you have to be fast.

I usually get the 3-year warranty and the biggest screen/RAM/HD, and with the warranty if it breaks it gets fixed fast, for free. I've had hard drives, keyboards, screens replaced within 24 hours.

HTH

- Robin

Here's an example that's up there now:

Inspiron 9400/E1705 Notebook $829
Genuine Windows XP Media Center 2005
1 GB DDR2 SDRAM 533MHz (2 DIMMs)
120 GB SATA Hard Drive (5400 RPM)
Intel Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator 950
Intel Core Duo Processor T2250 (1.73GHz/533MHz/2 X 1MB L2 Cache)
8X DVD +/- RW w/dbl layer write capability
Norton Internet Security 15 Month Subscription
17 inch UltraSharp Wide Screen UXGA Notebook Screen
1390 Wireless Card

+ a bunch of software you should immediately delete and reformat your HD...

Deener
03-02-2007, 12:23 AM
I got my dell refurbished on ebay for about $450. I checked out what it would retail for and saved several hundred dollars. I looked back to try to find the seller for you. There are several. Just pick one that has good feed back and offers as least a one month warranty and includes Windows wit the computer. Mine's great, has a huge hard drive, a cd playe/burner and dvd player. Also came with wireless internet, a modem and an ethernet card.

GoldenOne
03-02-2007, 07:05 AM
speaking of dell's...

http://www.slickdeals.net/?permadeal=9065#direct_deal_9065

swenpro
03-02-2007, 08:28 AM
speaking of dell's...

http://www.slickdeals.net/?permadeal=9065#direct_deal_9065

+1... this is what I was going to suggest as well, looks like a very good deal

spyrot1
03-02-2007, 08:40 AM
Yeah, get the Dell it's a decent deal.

indierthanthou
03-02-2007, 08:58 AM
boo yah. one word, bud, parallells.

theres some company that makes these super durable army-spec laptops but they are butt raping expensive

spyrot1
03-02-2007, 09:13 AM
boo yah. one word, bud, parallells.

Parallels is OK (i've installed it a couple of times), but you need to buy Parallels, a full version of XP, and then any other windows application...

Why bother? Why get a Mac just to run Windows unless you have a specific need? The only reason to get Parallels is to run Outlook... as both Mac Mail and Entourage suck.

Get a Vista ready Dell laptop, and then upgrade to Vista in 6 months (or wait until SP1 is out).

And all you Mac heads, please don't tell me how superior OSX is (I support both) and Mac's need just as many service packs as PC's do (they just hide it as "updates"). Mac's are also the most "closed" system around. The funniest thing is that Windows on Mac runs faster then Mac on Mac!

bsell
03-02-2007, 11:11 AM
... butt raping expensive

:D :D :D

First time reading/hearing that, LMAO...