PDA

View Full Version : Obscure question about oil filter housing

Jon K
03-01-2007, 09:56 AM
Hey guys, I am looking to powder coat my oil filter housing this weekend. I am going to stuff tin foil in any opening that can't get bead blast in it as well as mask everything off. However, I have to bake the part at 400F to cure the power, but I am worried about one thing. My friend said that there may valves inside the oil filter housing to prevent oil drain back or such, and that said valves may have rubber in them. Does anyone know if there is any rubber valves/seals INSIDE the oil filter housing? I cannot locate anything in RealOEM but then again, the oil filter housing itself is not really a serviceable part.

If anyone has any info I'd greatly appreciate it.

Jon

Dr. Bimmer
03-01-2007, 10:34 AM
Doesn't the operating oil temp reach about that (maybe higher)?? Good luck

Jon K
03-01-2007, 10:49 AM
Operating temperature of the oil reaches about 250F peak I believe.

winfred
03-01-2007, 11:20 AM
usually not much more then the coolant

Operating temperature of the oil reaches about 250F peak I believe.

Booster
03-01-2007, 12:12 PM
I'd take a stab that the oli O rings are Viton or Nitril at least .....thay could withstand the 400 temps.
But in all fairness.....if they have part numbers available, I'd replace them just to cover the base from age and removal.;)
.........Vinny

ryan roopnarine
03-01-2007, 12:39 PM
there certainly are o-rings inside the canister, unfortunately. if it were me, i'd seek an alternative, but if winfred doesn't object, i guess you can.

Jon K
03-01-2007, 02:54 PM
there certainly are o-rings inside the canister, unfortunately. if it were me, i'd seek an alternative, but if winfred doesn't object, i guess you can.

I cannot find anything on RealOEM regarding PNs for o rings etc, so I dunno

mikell
03-01-2007, 03:19 PM
Try a search of the forum - somebody ran a "how to" on repairing a defective check valve about 2 years ago - the pix should answer your question.

ryan roopnarine
03-01-2007, 06:56 PM
jon....there was that guy, akhil, i believe, that used to post here, and talked about an o-ring inside of the m50 canister that was "not serviceable" according to bmw. he had to source an o ring replacement for it or such.

gale
03-01-2007, 07:59 PM
There were 2 styles of e34 535i oil cannisters with the latter one being an upgrade to the check valve that prevents drainback when parked. Mine was the newer style and the check valve was all metal. The pic's I posted should still be somewhere here in the archives back around August '05.

It was "Adnan" that attempted a fix and I think he ended up buying a new cannister. His old one had a plastic check valve in it. There's also some info on Bruno's page. I helped Tom O with his many years ago. I forget the details but basically the plastic nub in the check valve wore and needed a skim cut.

Can you bake the paint at a lower temp? Maybe 250F or so for a longer time. I'd be reluctant to push it to 400F if there's any sort of plastic or rubber inside.

Jon K
03-01-2007, 08:12 PM
Guys i have an M50 non vanos

Gayle
03-01-2007, 08:41 PM
There were 2 styles of e34 535i oil cannisters with the latter one being an upgrade to the check valve that prevents drainback when parked. Mine was the newer style and the check valve was all metal.

I always liked this picture from Bruno's page.

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/trouble/OilCanister.htm

Booster
03-02-2007, 08:51 AM
Jon,
go for the remote kit showed on Bruno's page above. It makes alot of sense for your application.PLus cooler oil. You might even be able to route your turbo drain line to the finned element for improved service ?:)
If your cash shy,don't screw with the canister for now,skip the pretty'ing up of it and just clean it or blast it till later.
.......Vinny

Jon K
03-02-2007, 09:07 AM
Jon,
go for the remote kit showed on Bruno's page above. It makes alot of sense for your application.PLus cooler oil. You might even be able to route your turbo drain line to the finned element for improved service ?:)
If your cash shy,don't screw with the canister for now,skip the pretty'ing up of it and just clean it or blast it till later.
.......Vinny

Again, vinny, I have an M50. The remote mount kit only works for M30. It's really not a big issue my friend just did his S52 housing, but I just wanted to see if there was anything inside that was extremely fragile.

Again, remote kit will not work with M50.

winfred
03-02-2007, 11:18 AM
they have a remote kit for the m50 it's just hideously expensive, if you want ill see if i can dig up who was selling it

Again, vinny, I have an M50. The remote mount kit only works for M30. It's really not a big issue my friend just did his S52 housing, but I just wanted to see if there was anything inside that was extremely fragile.

Again, remote kit will not work with M50.

Booster
03-02-2007, 01:37 PM
they have a remote kit for the m50 it's just hideously expensive, if you want ill see if i can dig up who was selling it

Actually, Please do post it . It may be something I can fab at the shop. Thanks.
Jon......you know I know you have an M50 dude,lol:D
...........Vinny

Jon K
03-02-2007, 02:57 PM
I thought so vinny but wasnt sure

I don't really want to do a remote filter thinger, I don't see the point

genphreak
03-02-2007, 03:01 PM
Jon,
.......VinnyBruno doesn't sell them anymore. I asked, he was pretty adamant. Perhaps if enough people wanted one he'd do some:

Anyone with an M20 or M30 should do it (i've no experience with an M50 or M52 (?)), a remote Z9 Ford filter makes a lot of sense- let alone for anyone having trouble with an aging check-valve.

I'm planning to make my own soon. :( Nick

Jon K
03-02-2007, 03:18 PM
A remote mount on an M20 makes perfect sense. M30, eh. M50/s50 not at all

Booster
03-02-2007, 03:43 PM
I thought so vinny but wasnt sure

I don't really want to do a remote filter thinger, I don't see the point

The main reason I would think of doing it would be for the remote COOLER radiator along with the filter being wherever you wanted it. Granted our M50 case isn't hard to deal with currently at all.;)
.........Vinny

winfred
03-02-2007, 06:28 PM
http://www.vacmotorsports.com/cgi-bin/view_item.pl?item_id=350

$550 but it's pretty cool and lets you plumb in whatever you want in the way of coolers filters pressurized oh-**** tanks and preluber's, plus it clears up some room, probably work good with a supercharger with the extra room