PDA

View Full Version : Dash/console lighting is strobing.....

JD525IA
03-01-2007, 07:27 AM
for the last week. The light level on my dash board, the radio lighting and console lighting, and the entire car's exterior lights, have been sort of pulsing

It's like someone is playing with the dimmer knob and running it up and down twice a second. Then, after about twenty minutes, it goes away. Then after another ten, it comes back. Engine RPM's don't make any difference either.

Suggestions?

I have checked the battery and it seems to be in good working order. When I check the car with a Fluke meter, I get 14.6V when the car is running and about 12.5V when I shut it off.

I'm thinking either the voltage regulator on the alternator is going out slowly, the alternator is just getting old, the LKM may need to be resoldered (?), or the battery is just old.

Anybody had this issue?

JD

Ferret
03-01-2007, 08:04 AM
I'd have a quick run to your local garage and ask em to put your car on the oscilloscope if they've got one handy...

Sounds like it's strobing between charge voltage and batt voltage.

Blitzkrieg Bob
03-01-2007, 11:51 AM
& it's belt, connections, the battery cables and the grounding strap, the terminals that lead to the fusible link.

It all the cables look good, it may be the regulator in the alternator is going.

JD525IA
03-01-2007, 12:41 PM
poking around to do this weekend while I'm putting in my new radiator.

& it's belt, connections, the battery cables and the grounding strap, the terminals that lead to the fusible link.

It all the cables look good, it may be the regulator in the alternator is going.

ScottyWM
03-01-2007, 04:48 PM
Had this same issue on my E36 last month (check the 3 series forum). Finally figured it had to be the voltage regulator (internal to the alternator). Replaced the alternator and all is well! Pretty easy job.