PDA

View Full Version : We don't have a CD changer pinout, right?

AngryPopTart
02-26-2007, 12:56 PM
The knob on my factory deck was messed up. If you just touched it, the system would pop and crackle. I took the deck completely apart and removed the knob (actually, whatever you want to call it, it contains a power switch, stereo potentiometer and function switch in one unit) and totally dismantled it, cleaned, sanded and re-tensioned all contacts and put it back together. Now it works. The aluminum shaft is a bit worn so I foresee this problem coming back in the future, but oh well. I was so happy to have my radio back, but the tape player doesn't seem to work, and I have to help lift the tape up for it to eject it... at least it DID eject. Whew!

Anyway, like everyone else, I wish I knew the pinout for the changer plug so I could splice in an Auxilliary input. I don't feel like taking it right back apart to follow the traces. I should have done it while it was apart. ARGH!

etcetera
02-26-2007, 04:16 PM
This MIGHT be it.

http://www.bmw-540i.com/1995-540i-cd-changer/bmwpio-adapters.php

BMWCCA1
02-26-2007, 07:42 PM
To the best of my recollection, BMW made a change to their head units some time in 1994 so they would no longer recognize some non-BMW changers. We even had some older cars still under warranty with defective radios and when we replaced them with the warranty exchange units from BMW, their non-BMW changers no longer functioned. Just something I thought I'd mention but, like all of you, I'd sure like some way to make a simple aux connection through the changer cable. I don't know if there's a big enough market to make it a commercial success but someone's got to be able to figure it out!

etcetera
02-26-2007, 07:51 PM
I haven't gotten around to it yet on the e34, but it was easy on an older ford I had. Once you know which wires are signal + and -, left and right for the changer, it's simple to tap into them and use a 4 pole 3 position switch to choose what signal to send to the headunit. The changer will run while listening to your mp3 or whatever.

If you don't have a changer it might be difficult to trick the headunit into thinking there is a changer connected.

From what I can tell BMW just changed the pinout. There are adapters out there to use non BMW changers on the 95 and later headunits.

If I had an mp3 player I'd be more interested in figuring it out, but at this point it would just be curiosity.

Russell
02-26-2007, 08:09 PM
I would be intrested in those adapters. My 95 uses a very specific cahnger as I understand it.