PDA

View Full Version : OT - Collections Agency calling... need advice (it's BS)

RobPatt
02-25-2007, 02:03 AM
Perfect Credit, in military so I move around a fair share. Deployed to middle east right now....

Wife back home got a letter from a collections agency saying they're collecting $132 on behalf of some sanitation department in a different county in the state that we live in.... the county isn't even close, I've never been there.

All three credit reports look fine, except for an inquiry by a different collection agency which is listed under the "inquiries you voluntarily approved" type catagory. Not sure these two are related.

What to do? I'd like to just call the collection place wanting the $$ and say what's up, someone's made a mistake. But don't want to give up my personal info in order to make my case.

Know this board has a vast audience w/experts in many fields. Hope someone has some sound advice. Thanks much.
Rob sends....

bsell
02-25-2007, 03:14 AM
Perfect Credit, in military so I move around a fair share. Deployed to middle east right now....

Wife back home got a letter from a collections agency saying they're collecting $132 on behalf of some sanitation department in a different county in the state that we live in.... the county isn't even close, I've never been there.

All three credit reports look fine, except for an inquiry by a different collection agency which is listed under the "inquiries you voluntarily approved" type catagory. Not sure these two are related.

What to do? I'd like to just call the collection place wanting the $$ and say what's up, someone's made a mistake. But don't want to give up my personal info in order to make my case.

Know this board has a vast audience w/experts in many fields. Hope someone has some sound advice. Thanks much.
Rob sends....

I take it you looked at these credit reports recently? I get the feeling that maybe somebody over the way has decided to be you and has started ruining your credit. It is either that or the other county somehow confused you with a deadbeat with a similar name. Either way, quick action is required. I would visit with your local Area Defense Council and/or Family Readiness agency on base (both at your deployed site and back home) to get on top of this quick before this gets worse if it is identity theft.

I do know that some collection agencies buy old debt (that companies have written off as a loss already) for pennies on the dollar and then try to strong arm the money out people, even though the debt no longer legally exists (company wrote it off as a loss after the statute of limitations expired without recieving payment).

You know how some folks see us military memebers as easy sheep for the fleecing. I am not saying we are gullible, just that they know they can get money taken out of our pay without us having a say...

Unfortunately, it looks like you got some research to do before you can put this thing to bed. Sorry you have to do it while deployed.

Brian

wingman
02-25-2007, 03:33 AM
Some might say that this is better suited to the 'off topic" board but we have a 'family' style board and we all hate to see brothers and sisters having trouble. I'd call the agency and find out who they bought the debt off. It may very well be a case of past identity fraud but it just might be something from a past posting that you may have forgotten. I had a similar problem about ten years ago. I produced evidence to the original creditor that the account had been paid and told them that if the debt collection agency contacted me again I would take legal action against the creditor for selling a debt that did not exist. I never heard another thing. It must be hard when you ar so far from home. Keep up the good work OS.

Ross
02-25-2007, 03:59 AM
If you suspaect fraud immediately act on it. Someone I know had it happen. she was able to have the credit bureaus include a warning on inquiries that there had been fraud and not to open any new accounts without notice and her consent.
Also complain about the agency that inquired without your approval.
It may just be mistaken identity, a common name can be a problem.

RobPatt
02-25-2007, 04:03 AM
...yeah the credit reports were the first thing I checked a'la the wonders of the borderless Internet... ( and the double edged sword at times ).

mikell
02-25-2007, 11:05 AM
Collectors are not real meticulous about who they make miserable. They'll call everyone thay can find with a name or initials like those of their targets. When a collector calls, take control - make them tell who exactly who it is they are trying to collect from. Then, get the name and address of the creditor and of the collector. Demand that all future communications be in writing - no more calls. They must abide by your demand.

Then mail a demand to the creditor for full details about the debt - when was it incurred, what for, who by, etc. Be sure to demand a full accounting of all charges, payments, credits, interest, etc. And, ask for a copy of the contract, credit application or other document they allege created the obligation. And, again demand that all contacts must be in writing.

I'll bet that will reveal to you and them that you're the wrong target. If so, then write the creditor again and demand that they furnish you with a written acknolwedgement that you do not owe them anything.

It's a hassle, but life's sometimes like that. You have rights, which even include a right to recover damages if a creditor does not respond to a legitimate demand for information within a specific time, or if they persist in harrassing you for an invalid claim.

Good luck - don't let the bastards grind you down.