PDA

View Full Version : Car won't start - gas reads empty

edward240
02-25-2007, 12:53 AM
New to the forums, sorry if this is a common question. I tried a search but didn't find the exact problem.

Car: 1995 525i
Mileage: ~145k

I was at a gas station today and filled up the tank to full. I decided to do a quick car wash to get the winter road salt off my car. While in line waiting for the car wash my gas needle went to empty and the empty light lit up.

I turned the engine off and when I tried to start it wouldnt start. The battery is fine because all lights including headlights work fine.

Can someone please point me in the right direction to figure out whats wrong? The car is still at the gas station now.

Thanks in advance.

Paul in NZ
02-25-2007, 01:34 AM
does it crank and not fire or does it not even crank???

colo525i
02-25-2007, 01:43 AM
Assuming it cranks, I'd start checking at the gas tank. The fuel pump and gas gauge sender are on the same harness, i'd check to see if the fuel pump is getting power. They're located under a little metal hatch under the trunk carpet.

BillionPa
02-25-2007, 02:40 AM
when the fuel hit 0, how long did you wait before turning it off?

edward240
02-25-2007, 01:39 PM
It does not crank. When I turn to the key to ignintion it makes one light click. When I try again there is no noise. I took the key out and popped the hood. When I try to start it again I hear the same click and see a small movement near the top of the engine bay. It looks like something is pulling a steel line a little bit and then it lets go. Sorry I do not know anything about these cars.

I am not sure exactly how long I waited before turning the car off after the gas hit 0. However, it can't be too long because I was in line for the car was very briefly.

edward240
02-25-2007, 11:47 PM
bump...any additional advice/pointers?

billy
02-26-2007, 06:50 AM
is it an auto or manual? have you tried push starting it if its manual?

i would assume that ether your starter motor is dead or your battery is flat

brosher
02-26-2007, 08:42 AM
Was there a puddle under your car? I would think a full tank of gas spewed onto the ground would not go unnoticed.

I'm not sure where the level sensor is on the E34. Even if your fuel pump died the level still should be accurate. Someone else confirm this?

Axel Jóhann
02-26-2007, 08:44 AM
Mayb your fuel tank has a hole in it.

billy
02-26-2007, 09:25 AM
i think you need to read the posts gentlemen, the poster states the car does not crank, fuel therefore has nothing to do with this

check your battery level and starter motor

BillionPa
02-26-2007, 12:16 PM
im thinking a ground point went dead that controls the fuse or E-box.

filip00
02-26-2007, 01:12 PM
well, check your battery and starter if it does not crank.

report here and we'll see what else can be the problem.

brosher
02-26-2007, 01:39 PM
i think you need to read the posts gentlemen, the poster states the car does not crank, fuel therefore has nothing to do with this

check your battery level and starter motor

*slaps forehead*

edward240
02-27-2007, 03:21 PM
mechanics at the gas station where the car broke down checked the car. They said its not the battery and its not the starter.

They think it has something to do with the anti-theft device and advised me to go to a bmw specialst. They said a special computer reader is needed to fix the issue.

What do you all think? Why would the gas needle go down to empty if it is the anti theft system?

pingu
02-27-2007, 03:35 PM
Someone else suggested that maybe a bad ground connection (or maybe a bad connection to +12V) could cause both the non-starting problem and the fuel gauge problem.

Other than that, it seems likely that the two problems are unconnected - the fuel gauge float would have moved upwards while you refilled the car and if the gauge was on its last legs, this could have caused the fuel gauge to finally die.

Although a computer reader would probably make things easier (I've never used one so am guessing here), you could also diagnose the problem using a multimeter and a wiring diagram. Check the voltage levels around the DME, fuel pump and fuel relay.

Tiger
02-27-2007, 03:41 PM
Fusible Link?

edward240
02-27-2007, 03:53 PM
What is a fusible link?

The battery is under the rear seat cushion correct? How do I remove the seat?

Blitzkrieg Bob
02-27-2007, 04:01 PM
a pull up with a quick jerk.

I'd check the termial where the link is...it powers many things and if one of those three wires is loose it could cause problems.

What does work?

lights? radio? ??

find ou twhat is still working will help isolate whats killing the car

Tiger
02-27-2007, 04:02 PM
Pull up the seat hard... You have to kinda sit and then pull up the front of bottom seat cushion

Fusible link is like the main fuse for the entire electrical system. There is another path but won't give you enough to start up car.

edward240
02-27-2007, 04:09 PM
Headlights, interior lights, instrument cluster and display, radio, door lights, tail lights are all working.

I will try to lift up the seat cushion to get to the battery. What should I be looking for? How can I tell if the connection is bad.

Where can i find the fusible link? Is the fuse something I can get at an auto store and replace myself?

Thank you so much for everybody's help so far, I really appreciate it.

Blitzkrieg Bob
02-27-2007, 04:15 PM
http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/maintenance/electrical/fusible_link.htm

But if most of the accessories are working, then it may not be the link

edward240
03-03-2007, 04:36 PM
Got the car towed to our mechanic. Said he found a blown fuse, replaced it and fuse blew out again. He found a pinched wire somewhere in the engine bay and replaced the wire. Now the car starts fine.

Thank you very much for everyones help.

Michael999
03-03-2007, 05:45 PM
Replaced a fuse with wire?
I wouldnt leave it like that for long.

edward240
03-03-2007, 05:53 PM
the pinched wire was the reason why the fuse kept blowing.

after replacing the pinched wire a new fuse was put back in.

SharkmanBMW
03-03-2007, 07:38 PM
Replaced a fuse with wire?
I wouldnt leave it like that for long.

He probably means worn out wire, shorting out... ??

let's hope:p