PDA

View Full Version : Door tweeter retro-fit?

wingman
02-24-2007, 09:43 PM
Has anyone ever retro-fitted factory door tweeters? I'll be attempting it soon so if anyone has any info that would be great.

Boone.Msi
02-24-2007, 09:47 PM
you mean swap for an aftermarket set? If so then yes, easy as hell, all you need is a mini screwdriver, wire cutters and a conector. I had mine in, in less than 5 minutes. Although the Focals were a little to harsh for the stock system, so i added my 500w rockford hx2 to even it out:D

wingman
02-24-2007, 10:06 PM
No what I actually mean't is to fit the whole speaker enclosure to a car that wasn't originally fitted with them. Thanks all the same.

Uber Soldat
02-24-2007, 11:12 PM
Mine never came with Tweeter pods either. Managed to source a set from a junkyard.
You need to pull the doorcard off , to check whether you have the neccesary wiring to fit them. Luckily for me i had that already.

I had to put a capacitor on the back of both tweeters. I had the wiring in the door but when it came to the interior part i had to solder the wires there onto the wires for the kickpanel speakers.

wingman
02-25-2007, 03:23 AM
I was going to attach them to the dash speakers as there is a crossover there sending the high frequencies to the dash and the lows to the kick panel. Was it an 'easy' install?

Uber Soldat
02-25-2007, 04:53 AM
It was a fairly easy install.
Taking the door cards off and some parts under the dash took the most time.

wingman
02-25-2007, 05:25 AM
Cheers!

Kalevera
02-25-2007, 10:01 AM
The door wiring harness incorporates the two tweeter leads. If they're not in the loom from the factory, you'll have to run them through the door harness (not much fun, but doable). You should also check the body harness on the chassis side of the door jamb to see if your existing radio harness is provisioned for tweeters.

wingman
02-25-2007, 10:44 PM
Thanks.