PDA

View Full Version : rattle in engine area

gymkata
02-24-2007, 05:27 PM
I think this is rattling in front of the oil filter and behind the fan. Any idea how important it is to correct this? What is this by the way.
Thanks in advace.
Let me know if others have a similar experience / resolve if any.

Dr. evil
02-24-2007, 05:33 PM
lookes like the belt tensioner to me

wingman
02-24-2007, 05:44 PM
Tell us more about the rattle. Is it constant? Does it happen when cold, hot or both?

DaveVoorhis
02-24-2007, 05:50 PM
Could be the belt tensioner idler. Loosen off the belt and spin the tensioner idlers. They should spin smoothly with no play. If there's roughness, noise, or play, replace it. It's a good chance to spin the alternator and water pump, too, in case the noise is coming from either of these.

gymkata
02-24-2007, 06:20 PM
Tell us more about the rattle. Is it constant? Does it happen when cold, hot or both?

Seems to be fairly constant. I notice it more when I start the car, low speeds. Not sure if that helps. I've had the valve chatters going on for a while now too, but the rattling seems even more constant that this.

RallyD
02-24-2007, 08:24 PM
its most likely the idler. Mine is doing it also.
i'm hoping to hold off on the repair until the weather warms up around here.
it is louder when cold and does go away, almost completely, after the engine has been run for 30min of driving.

worst case scenario: idler freezes up, burns/throws belt, I ride my skateboard home.

632 Regal
02-24-2007, 09:41 PM
mine does the same crap, think it's the belts. been doing it for 2 years since I replaced them. I rev it up and it goes away fast.

Ross
02-25-2007, 07:50 PM
Tensioner is my guess also. I say address it before the bearing fails and seizes. Bits of debris flying around the fan and radiator gets expensive.
Also the belts themselves can make some pretty wierd noises(mostly v-belts though), try wetting the belt a bit and see if the noise quits.

Alkam94540
02-27-2007, 10:57 PM
My water-pump rattled as it went bad- is the fan loose ?