PDA

View Full Version : rear brake job gone bad-help!

Russell
02-23-2007, 05:26 PM
Was not a good day for me? I twisted off a right rear brake caliper guide bolt. I think my torque wrench is broken. I only had it set to 50 pounds. At least I think that is correct. I may have misread Bentley. Advice?

Even so, I think I can get a caliper guide bolt locally tomorrow and ease out the broken part. Advice?

However, in case I cannot quickly fix it, how dangerous is it to drive with only one caliper bolt on the right rear?
TIA

TC535i
02-23-2007, 05:29 PM
DON'T drive with one bolt.

As you brake, it'll pull the caliper one way or another and either drag it into the rotor, or push it out against the wheel.

It's happened to my car... trust me.

TC535i
02-23-2007, 05:30 PM
BTW, I crank those things down as hard as I freakin can now with a breaker bar. No real torque spec, just get em on there real hard!

Bellicose Right Winger
02-23-2007, 06:00 PM
Guide bolt torque is only 22 ft lbs.
Caliper carrier bolt torque is 48 ft lbs.

Paul Shovestul

[QUOTE=Russell........I only had it set to 50 pounds. At least I think that is correct. I may have misread Bentley. Advice? [/QUOTE]

Russell
02-23-2007, 06:04 PM
Oops! now I see where i went wrong. after rechecking bentley page 340-5 indicates 26 ft lbs. and 50 ft lbs on caliper to trailing arm on page 340-6. I should have read more carefully. Thanks for the help. Looks like Napa and/or Advance have the guide bolt. Will pick up tommorrow.

ryan roopnarine
02-23-2007, 08:44 PM
i posted a thread about 3 years ago entitled "discount auto parts has caliper bolts" in case anyone ran a search on it. your snapping it off has nothing to do with your torque wrench being broken, the bolts just seem to randomly be $hit or be great--hence my having to go to the store and creating that thread. get the caliper off, put a screw extractor in there to get the bit out (or use just a drill bit if you are talented), and head down to advance auto for a replacement.

Russell
02-23-2007, 08:56 PM
Got the bit out and will head to advance or napa first thing in morning.

By the way sears screw extractors did not work well. I drilled it out and turned the remaining bit out with a screwdriver. Most of thethred is good. I do not want to by another barake carrier as oem is about $165 on up per Realoem.

TC535i
02-23-2007, 10:49 PM
I'm sorry, I read this as CARRIER bolt, not caliper guide bolt...!

BillionPa
02-24-2007, 02:01 AM
i dropped a guide bolt while going around a corner at 50mph.... the sound of the caliper hitting the wheel was very frightening.

Russell
02-24-2007, 01:31 PM
Got it fixed. took the caliper holder off, drilled it out and use an Advance auto guide bolt. Cheap bolt does not allow the used of a dust cvover as it is longer. I will get an OE as soon as possible.