PDA

View Full Version : Fan rubbing against top radiator hose, need advice.

yy101
02-23-2007, 03:50 PM
My fan is rubbing against the top radiator hose, only when the engine is hot. Anyone here has got similar problems previously and what were their cause?

colo525i
02-23-2007, 03:54 PM
My 2 guesses for a solution would be. new rad hose, maybe its old and swelling. or 2 motor mounts, engine could be moving around?

dt8068
02-23-2007, 04:31 PM
Most likely it's your engine mount(s) (left). Same thing happened to me, eventually cut through the hose.

Have someone open the hood and watch, as you put the car in drive, hold the brake (so the car doesn't move) and rev it a little, if it's the engine mounts the left side of the engine will clearly raise A LOT and you will see the fan hit the hose.

yy101
02-23-2007, 04:57 PM
Thanks guys, I will do that...in regards to engine mounts, do they just go at a certain age or the amount of oil (power steering, engine oil etc) that gets on it degrades it and they fail a lot earlier?

pingu
02-23-2007, 09:09 PM
As well as the motor mounts etc, something that won't be helping is the fact that you're missing a mounting clip for the hose.

There's meant to be a mounting clip from the oil filter (or is it the bracket next to the oil filter? I can't remember) that holds the hose in place. On the first two photos that you posted, you can see the mark from where the old mounting clip was - the mark is just next to the worm drive clamp on the small hose next to the radiator hose.

I suspect that when the hose is hot, it's more flexible and sags down into the path of the fan. The mounting clip will help prevent this from happening.

Johntee540
02-23-2007, 09:27 PM
Ditto on the clip. I used Nylon wire ties as the dealers have no idea what the part is for this.

Do you find that its rubbing more when you romp on the accelerator? If thats the case then its the motor mounts. Good luck - JT

yy101
02-25-2007, 09:10 PM
Ditto on the clip. I used Nylon wire ties as the dealers have no idea what the part is for this.

Do you find that its rubbing more when you romp on the accelerator? If thats the case then its the motor mounts. Good luck - JT

Lol, no probs theres plenty of zip ties and scaffolding tie wire at work.

About the romping on the accelerator I have a permanent lead foot so I really cant say for sure! :D

Jon K
02-25-2007, 10:23 PM
Lol, no probs theres plenty of zip ties and scaffolding tie wire at work.

About the romping on the accelerator I have a permanent lead foot so I really cant say for sure! :D

But an excessively expanding radiator hose means you are going to dump your payload all over a highway sometime.

brosher
02-26-2007, 08:59 AM
Get under the car and look at the plastic clips that hold the fan shroud in place. When the shroud gets dropped down in from the top if it doesn't slide into the slots it will cause problems. Also there is supposed to be a retaining clip that attaches the hose, it was missing on my car as well. PN 11531714433. Get that and a new hose ASAP. It will fail eventually!