PDA

View Full Version : How likely is it that one can have a vac. leak thru oil pan/m50 airsuck TSB?

ryan roopnarine
02-23-2007, 01:47 PM
My friend has offered to help me do some work on my car, but i'm having trouble deciding what we should do. I had (i think its gone) a massive oil leak through the oil canister gasket of my non-vanos m50, but we replaced the gasket, and it appears to have gone away. i purchased an oil pan gasket, in case that didn't solve the problem, but now that the leak appears to have disappeared, do you all think that i should do the oil pan gasket? it is either that or change my transmission fluid filter and put helicoils in some of the stripped out bolt holes. i have a mild vacuum leak from somewhere, and after seeing that there is an issue with the m50 sucking in air, causing tick/ping-- through the oil pump pickup gasket, i am conflicted as to which big job i should get done. (we) are both curious to see how the bottom of the motor is doing at this mileage. is a vacuum leak through an oil pan gasket a somewhat common thing? i feel bad because if i were to do the oil pan gasket, i would reuse the oil pump (unless it were obviously eaten out). i don't want my decision to come down to a coin flip, or possibly a "mickey mouse built a house" using somebody's birth age. thanks.

fyi, the stripped bolts are causing a mild tranny leak. i didn't strip them out, a shop did.

Blitzkrieg Bob
02-23-2007, 02:49 PM
pretty juicy oil pan leak if air could be drawn past it it through the case into the intake.

ryan roopnarine
02-24-2007, 05:42 PM
bump for anyone that knows anything about this tsb or the seperate issue. IIRC winfred had once said something about an e36 w/ vacuum leak through the pan, and i know that dick schneiders had gotten the air suck TSB fix applied to one of his e34s.