PDA

View Full Version : :: Don't ditch your e34 :)

Qube
02-23-2007, 11:46 AM
I was going to write this a while back but it's just a short thought so I didn't bother. In a nutshell, came back from vacation and needed to go to Seaforth (300KM away). I've made this trip before in the 535 but this time I thought I'd just wing it for the sake of fuel economy in the ZX3. Bad idea.

I've driven 'her' car before but it was horrid. After about 20 minutes into the drive, I decided that it was due to the slushbox thinking in economy mode. Giving it a few kicks made it more ballsy... or I adapted to the slow uptake :)

The 2.0 Zetec just DRONES 120kph @ 3000rpm. No, this isn't because of the CAI, but it certainly didn't help. If I went 110kph @ 2700rpm or 140kph @ 3300rpm, it was dandy. 3000 just wasn't fun at all. As a result, I found myself leapfrogging 110 to 140 every so often. Of course, even now the SLIGHTEST push to 140 would cause a downshift (damn 4 gear). Not fun.

The trip itself was uneventful.

Came back and did errands in the 535. Man. Sure, it's an 88 car but m30 with a manual is just fun. It makes me forget that I'm filling up the tank every week and a half :) There's no way I'm getting rid of this car, even when I win the lottery. No, it's not because it's 'torquier' being sharked, but just the overall package FEELS solid (door brakes not withstanding). Really, this is the only car I've driven that doesn't feel like a tin can (again, e28 notwithstanding, but it wasn't a gutsy being a 528)

So... to end my rant, I can still safely say the ride outweights the cost of premium gas, for now.

CharlesAFerg
02-23-2007, 11:56 AM
Came back and did errands in the 535. Man. Sure, it's an 88 car but m30 with a manual is just fun. It makes me forget that I'm filling up the tank every week and a half :) There's no way I'm getting rid of this car, even when I win the lottery. No, it's not because it's 'torquier' being sharked, but just the overall package FEELS solid (door brakes not withstanding). Really, this is the only car I've driven that doesn't feel like a tin can (again, e28 notwithstanding, but it wasn't a gutsy being a 528)

So... to end my rant, I can still safely say the ride outweights the cost of premium gas, for now.

That's good to know, why do you use premium gas? I didn't know that the M30 needs that...

repenttokyo
02-23-2007, 11:56 AM
people always talk about miles per gallon, but I like to talk about QUALITY miles per gallon.

califblue
02-23-2007, 12:07 PM
Smiles per gallon = PRICELESS;)

etcetera
02-23-2007, 12:33 PM
Here's what you should do.

Drive a Ford F-250 Crew Cab 4x4 V10 for a while. Then the mileage of the 535 will seem like a godsend.

After I sold my truck even 16-20mpg looked good.

repenttokyo
02-23-2007, 12:35 PM
truer words have never been spoken.

Qube
02-23-2007, 01:10 PM
That's good to know, why do you use premium gas? I didn't know that the M30 needs that...

Because it's sharked (EAT chip installed). The car drinks so much that the 2cents off a litre by using a certain MasterCard still adds up :)

Digita1 Ecstasy
02-23-2007, 01:21 PM
I agree with everything qube said, almost.

I would never make my M30 a Daily driver. Too expensive/too prone for speeding/tickets.

Qube
02-23-2007, 01:27 PM
I agree with everything qube said, almost.

I would never make my M30 a Daily driver. Too expensive/too prone for speeding/tickets.

How can you resist not daily driving? The only other daily driver I would use would be a Z4 3.0. I've played with one and it's only FUN go-kart :)

Speeding tickets? My STi has paid for itself time and time again. Just remember, don't speed if you're the one ahead of the pack... or the only one on the road!

On that note, given that I paid about $4000 CAD for the car, I would never find another around that price this fun and practical to drive.

genphreak
02-23-2007, 01:53 PM
Same here. I've driven new bimmers and still prefer the e34 despite the pre-historic construction. The execution of the car is superb despite this, the refinement legendary. An e39 or later car is perhaps as good or even better, but they are ugly in comparison to the classic e34 design- sometimes I think I'd prefer an e28 to one of the newer cars.

If you have a problem with economy, consider your AFM. I thought mine was good, but once replaced with a MAF kit economy has increased by at least 8% over the previous chipped ECU and the power is up by what feels like a far greater amount. :) Nick

swenpro
02-23-2007, 03:13 PM
I do mostly highway driving, and for that the E34 is, like you said, perfect! I get 24-26 mpg even with a V8, and my "comfort seats" never make me sore. Now all I need is to get a real audio system in the car.

As for city driving, my car has a slushbox, which I heavily regret but did not realize would be a problem at the time. The accelerator is also a bit heavy. And the steering is heavy too. So the combination of those three make me feel like I'm driving around a tank... very safe, but not too exciting (although my new EAT chip has improved this factor some). The car is only exciting when I MAKE it exciting by stomping on the gas, but otherwise it's just okay.

+1 on the design! I was reminded again today as I was browsing through newer 3, 5, and 7 series that WOW, the E34 really does look classic-hottt. :)

J.DeFeo
02-23-2007, 03:57 PM
If you have a problem with economy, consider your AFM. I thought mine was good, but once replaced with a MAF kit economy has increased by at least 8% over the previous chipped ECU and the power is up by what feels like a far greater amount. :) Nick

Could you elaborate a bit on this? Is there a particular MAF kit you recommend? Or do you just drop in a MAF in place of the previos sensor?

liquidtiger720
02-23-2007, 04:43 PM
I think I have the same feelings as all of you.

I drove a 2004?? mercedes clk500 whenever they first came out. I was happy to get into my 10 year old bimmer, even if it was slower.

I was offered a rx300 for free from the parentals....
paid them for the e34 instead, haha. :)

RallyD
02-23-2007, 05:56 PM
our cars are the last of the classic styled BMWs
When I was describing what the car looked like to my mother, I said "When you think of a BMW in your head, you will picture this car"

genphreak
02-23-2007, 10:43 PM
The output of an AFM is very different so they don't simply swapover. There is only one that is a plugin replacement that i know of, but it comes with an ECU chip that understands the different output of the MAF. See www.millerperformancecars.com. :) Nick

John B.
02-24-2007, 07:27 AM
The output of an AFM is very different so they don't simply swapover. There is only one that is a plugin replacement that i know of, but it comes with an ECU chip that understands the different output of the MAF. See www.millerperformancecars.com. :) Nick

Their write up sounds good but how much difference would you notice between the MAF & the EAT chip. My 535i gets 18-24mpg running Mark's chip so how much more efficient would the MAF be? Sounds like the power would be about the same.

genphreak
02-25-2007, 04:30 AM
Their write up sounds good but how much difference would you notice between the MAF & the EAT chip. My 535i gets 18-24mpg running Mark's chip so how much more efficient would the MAF be? Sounds like the power would be ablout the same.My comparison is from a car fitted with three types of chip in the past. I am used to each one, so over a non-chipped car the MAF would have a really significant difference. But it depends on how bad your AFM is. A new AFM may perform a lot better than any of those I've had, but at the age they are now I suspect that the most of the damn things need to be replaced no matter what- particularly if you want to avoid wasting gas and losing power.

I thought my AFM (with chip) was good, but after fitting the car with a MAF I now wonder. Maybe all my AFMs were faulty after all... LOL.

J.DeFeo
02-25-2007, 03:01 PM
My comparison is from a car fitted with three types of chip in the past. I am used to each one, so over a non-chipped car the MAF would have a really significant difference. But it depends on how bad your AFM is. A new AFM may perform a lot better than any of those I've had, but at the age they are now I suspect that the most of the damn things need to be replaced no matter what- particularly if you want to avoid wasting gas and losing power.

I thought my AFM (with chip) was good, but after fitting the car with a MAF I now wonder. Maybe all my AFMs were faulty after all... LOL.

Do you need to run premium fuel with your MAF kit?

rob101
02-25-2007, 03:32 PM
i get about 10 L/100 km in my 525i and she's got alot of kms under her belt. I must say that i think the key to the e34 is the development. you think about the suspension geometry, the engines (except m50 and m60) they'd all be in 5ers or 3ers for many many many years. I have discovered a new joy in my bmw, instead of driving at 80 kph everywhere and 130 kph on the freeway (well not quite everywhere) i have enjoy the constant 60 kph/110 kph relaxed cruise that only a car this refined and well sorted can give. even though the engine is small in comparison it loves to rev, and i have taken to double clutching on all downshifts and the 4th to 5th upshift (yes you can definitely feel the difference). I have decided to keep my girl for many years yet. even though she is quite only in machine years (read kms) I've driven many cars 5-10 years younger. and I can say they cannot match the execution of this design as a total package and as a daily driver (on roads that aren't choked with traffic) I have never driven anything better (apart from an e34 540iA of my friend's :-)

Qube
02-25-2007, 04:15 PM
Holy... "i get about 10 L/100 km in my 525i and she's got alot of kms under her belt."

Nah. I 'enjoy'* my car every chance I get (without being an idiot... READ: CSL thread). I get 13.5L to 100km. Of course, my engine is bigger than yours (j/k).

*meaning winter better be over soon or my rear snows will be bald heh.

rob101
02-25-2007, 04:17 PM
Of course, my engine is bigger than yours (j/k).

yeah well, my engine has more valves:p

BigTed00
02-25-2007, 08:21 PM
i love this car to death

my e36 had 60k less miles on it when I totalled it, and it felt like it was falling apart......windows were goofy, obc flashed stupid codes nonstop (brake circuit, ect), doors were falling off as well as the panels......headliner was starting to fall down....rips in leather....SHITTY stock headlights.....i could go on and on

the 16 year old e34 feels as solid as the day it was sold....i was cruising down the highway today with the sunroof cracked and the headliner barely moved. In the e36 it would have been flapping everywhere.

the 5 spd is too much fun to drive, especially with the setup Im running. The UUC short-shift kit is worth the expense, the shifts are so short and smooth I can accelerate through the gears while staying in the powerband the entire time. I remember when I first bought the car the shifts were so precise it felt like it was "clicking" into gear. Sometimes if I havent driven the car for a long period I can still feel it

the CAI doesnt really do much IMHO other then change the sound slightly. What I do really love is the supersprint exhaust. Its a very subtle note until you accelerate hard and head past 3k rpm. Also it just looks great, class and clean exhaust

the HID are ****ing fantastic. As i mentioned the e328is had awful headlights, it was damn near dangerous to drive. With the HIDs my night viability has been improved tenfold, and its much safer to drive at night. They are even brighter then my high beams. Plus the look is superb :D

< e34 enthusiast for life

javoresku
02-25-2007, 11:00 PM
I get 13.5L to 100km. Of course, my engine is bigger than yours (j/k)

Well, my engine is kind of in the middle - you can see my mileage in my sig. The car is a daily driver, and it's bone stock for the moment.
But as somebody said it's not the miles per gallon that matter, it's the smiles per gallon. And when driving the bimmer I am like this ->:D

John B.
02-26-2007, 07:48 AM
So how bad is the E30 compared to the E34? I'm starting on the restoration of an 88 325IX but all of these 3 series negative comments are making me wonder if it's worth it.

javoresku
02-26-2007, 11:22 AM
So how bad is the E30 compared to the E34? I'm starting on the restoration of an 88 325IX but all of these 3 series negative comments are making me wonder if it's worth it.
Not that bad. Definately the E34 is more refined, everything is like in slow motion compared to the E30. For ordinary day-to-day use I prefer the E34.
I like to drift my BMWs from time to time. The E34 is more forgiving and controllable than the E30. I managed to wreck a 325IX beyond reapir when a drift went wrong.
Good E30's are hard to find these days. There is a good forum on e30's - www dot e30tech dot something (I forgot what it was and can't find it in my bookmarks).

winfred
02-26-2007, 11:47 AM
e30s are like a older lighter less comfy e34, i can't really speak about the odd ix bits though but e30s in general are pretty good

winfred
02-26-2007, 11:49 AM
i like my truck, i flog the **** outta the mighty dodge and get 16 :D

Here's what you should do.

Drive a Ford F-250 Crew Cab 4x4 V10 for a while. Then the mileage of the 535 will seem like a godsend.

After I sold my truck even 16-20mpg looked good.

etcetera
02-26-2007, 11:52 AM
i like my truck, i flog the **** outta the mighty dodge and get 16 :D

Ahh, the beauty of diesel, especially an older one.

Spice Boy
02-26-2007, 08:01 PM
I wouldn't sell my E34 for anything barring it getting written off like my last one...

And I NEVER put anything less that 99ron super unleaded in her, otherwise she just doesnt feel the same...

Bless her! lol

DaveVoorhis
02-26-2007, 08:32 PM
And I NEVER put anything less that 99ron super unleaded in her, otherwise she just doesnt feel the same...
Curious... I've tried super unleaded and regular unleaded, running it down to fumes before filling up and alternating between the two. I can't tell the difference. Mine runs identically fine on both.