PDA

View Full Version : anyone know anything about old range rovers?

markus
02-22-2007, 08:28 PM
my buddy has a 1990 RRC and he bought it from some guy in NY. I will admit the wiring is butchered and the check engine light is constantly on. It runs rich. We are thinking about making it carburated. Does anyone know if this is possible? I was also suggesting him to put a euro ECU in since they dont have 02 sensors over there. His 02 sensor wires are cut and the other one is missing.

gale
02-22-2007, 08:48 PM
The 3.5 liter V-8 is much the same as the old Buick 215 cu-in aluminum V-8. There are still lots of aftermarket parts available for them. I've toyed with the idea of putting a V-8 in my Alfa Spider and a Rover motor would be near the top of a short list of motors I'd pick. Edelbrock has intake manifolds for the to convert to a carburetor:

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/man_rover.html

Ebay usually has lots of 215 parts.

markus
02-22-2007, 08:50 PM
his is the 3.9 litre if that makes any difference.

winfred
02-22-2007, 09:02 PM
megasquirt it, banish the prince of darkness and go with a squirt, probably run a **** load better make a little more power and be more reliable

markus
02-22-2007, 09:06 PM
well he alreayd blew a rear axle in it but its almost ready to go back on the road. hopefully the engine wont crap out.

markus
02-22-2007, 09:07 PM
it also showed me how shitty lucas electronics are compared to bosch

bosch motronic > lucas l jet

JerseySi
02-22-2007, 09:16 PM
As Gale says, it's basically a Buick motor, earlier 3.5 models used to run twin SU carbs, I'd imagine you could fit this setup to the 3.9 without any issues... Or you could go for a decent manifold & carb setup :D
It's 4am here nearly, just answering this on my way to bed, hence no links - sorry!
But google is your friend, there'll be plenty out there