PDA

View Full Version : supra notes on thrust arm ball joints--boot source...

ryan roopnarine
04-30-2004, 12:37 PM
here

http://plaza.ufl.edu/rroopnar/Friday,%20April%2030,%202004.jpg

the boot of the number shown looks like it'll fit right, though it needs to be restrained around the base. i asked sean and johan of the e32 site for a model number for these items, as i suspect many people have to deal with defective boots with good joints. he said he didn't know specifics, so here's a unit that will fit.

Bellicose Right Winger
04-30-2004, 02:39 PM
BMP sells similar looking polyurethane boots that I've used on lower control arms and tie rod ends on my E28. I suspect they'll work on an E34 also. They don't need the locking ring like the factory boot and seem to make a good weather tight seal. I think you'll find that when you tighten the nut on the ball joint stud shown in the photo, the boot will be forced over the ball joint and will form a tight seal

Paul Shovestul

JR'Z 525
04-30-2004, 06:40 PM
Paul, you're right. I've used the BMP polyurethane covers on my outer tie rod ends for about 2 years now with no problems. Don't know if BMP's other sizes will work on other suspension components though.
JR

ryan roopnarine
05-01-2004, 07:07 AM
the help! part because of its ubiquity in north america....you can walk into any "real" auto parts store and buy at least one boot from the line, and it looks like it will fit satisfactory.