PDA

View Full Version : OT: how/where to bleed coolant on 1999 Acura TL (non-S)

ryan roopnarine
02-21-2007, 09:50 AM
seeing as we are going through one of those monthly OT fests on the main page, i feel no guilt about asking this where it might get a response. friend has a 1999 acura TL regular that he would like to flush the coolant on. he doesn't know where the drain plugs are, and i have no idea how to go about bleeding a hondaa. i love how the japanese car people act as though they have extensive support in place on the internet for car repairs, but their forums are generally terrible, and, model for model (e34), a handful of people (gale, borsch, sean and johan, mr. lafosse) seem to have compiled/written up more stuff than exists for all of the acuras/hondas/toyotas combined). anyway, have three questions that i would really appreciate someone helping me out with.

1. where would the drains for the coolant system on this car be?
2. where is the bleed screw for the coolant?
3. (most important) how does one bleed the coolant on something like this?

i tried putting (this) car into autozone to see if they had a free repair manual for it on the internet, unfortunately, they don't. any help is appreciated. thanks.

DanDombrowski
02-21-2007, 11:21 AM
Good chance it doesn't have a bleed screw - you may just have to bleed it by relieving pressure by opening the cap from time to time. Thats the way I have to do it on the Camry.

ryan roopnarine
02-21-2007, 12:03 PM
i'm pretty certain that all modern hondas (<15 years old) have bleed screws for coolant. a pdf of installation instructions for a acura TL supercharger mentions bleeding the coolant after draining it, but it has neither the pictures of the bleeder, bleeder instructions, or drain plug pictures in it.

Bill R.
02-21-2007, 03:08 PM
bleed screw, most of the v6's don't. His drain plug for the radiator is accessible through the square hole in the bottom cover under the radiator. The drain plug for the block has a nipple on it that you attach a rubber hose to and open it to drain. Its above the axle on the side of the block, With the car raised up, if you look just above the axle you can usually see the block drain.

i'm pretty certain that all modern hondas (<15 years old) have bleed screws for coolant. a pdf of installation instructions for a acura TL supercharger mentions bleeding the coolant after draining it, but it has neither the pictures of the bleeder, bleeder instructions, or drain plug pictures in it.

ryan roopnarine
02-21-2007, 09:23 PM
as usual, one of the usual one of the two board indispensables helps me out! thanks bill. I read from this here http://www.comptechusa.com/store/media/instructions/ins125.pdf
page 18

which notes "coolant system must be properly bled according to service manual....."
i figured that, since i've seen many 4 cyl hondas with bleed screws, that this referred to a bleeder being somewhere on the engine. i've already implied that i might not be able to help him do it (he's never changed antifreeze in anything before, japanese reliability and all...) if he was unwilling to go to the dealer and purchase honda antifreeze--might not have to help him at all.

markus
02-21-2007, 09:57 PM
theres a funnel with a radiator cap you can get on it which bleeds the system while it fills. really nifty. i know snap on sells them but i duno if u can get them at a local auto store.