PDA

View Full Version : I see that Hyundai has now taken 2nd place behind lexus bumping bmw in the jd powers

Bill R.
04-30-2004, 09:22 AM
initial quality and reliability reports...

Bimmer Nut Ed
04-30-2004, 10:38 AM
Oh well, we drive the old ones anyway, while BMW was still on top. Yes, the older bimmers, before all that technology. The simple days, when they only had one airbag. Here's an interesting article about all them airbags, btw.
http://abcnews.go.com/sections/insurance/Business/Collision_expense_040426.html

Jr ///M5
04-30-2004, 08:18 PM
Does it make any difference? It's still a Hyundai, sorry, but I wouldn't have one of them up my ass if I had room for a sawmill....(how's that one winfred?)

winfred
04-30-2004, 09:07 PM
yea and if a frog had wings he wouldn't bump his ass on the ground when he hopped

Does it make any difference? It's still a Hyundai, sorry, but I wouldn't have one of them up my ass if I had room for a sawmill....(how's that one winfred?)

andyman32
04-30-2004, 09:57 PM
Huyndai schmundai. Initial quality, great... then the car turns 1 year old and the alternator bursts into flames. And even if you're one of the lucky ones, it's a HYUNDAI... it's going to accelerate, brake and handle like a HYUNDAI. (not a compliment!! :-) )

warton
05-01-2004, 02:16 AM
:-)

Peter

Rick L
05-01-2004, 08:37 AM
Hyundai has come a long ways from the old crappy Excel and etc... They have definitely improved in quality and reliability in the recent years. Few of my friends have them and they are very nice for the price they paid. Also their cars have been running without any problems. All Hyundai are covered by 100,000/6 year warranty. How many auto manufacture carry this as a standard warranty? Sure, I wouldn’t want one but that doesn’t mean they are bad cars either. If you’re looking for a BMW, most likely you are not going to look at a Hyundai. If you’re looking for a Hyundai, most likely you are not going to look at a BMW. Yes, we live in a world of many choices...

andyman32
05-01-2004, 10:22 AM
Hyundai has come a long ways from the old crappy Excel and etc...

Ahh, the voice of reason interrupts our Hyundai-bashing. :D

Well, they're better than the old Excel, that's for sure. However, they are still near the bottom of long-term quality (Kia is AT the bottom). If I were ever in the market for that type of car, I'd definitely spring the extra grand or two to get a Toyota or Honda.

Bill R.
05-01-2004, 11:59 AM
worked on in the past, primarily excels.. but I got curious after seeing this jd powers report and the progress of hyundai.. and started looking at reviews... if you check with most of the standard reviews, car and driver, road and track, edmunds, epinions etc.. you'll see that they have changed remarkedly over the last 3 years... In other industries the Koreans usually take about 7 years from entry to equal footing or domination over the japanese makes.. they made a really big impact on the steel industry and same with home appliances, LG which has been making big strides in appliances was originally the cheap goldstar brand... And take a look at
Samsung refrigerators and other electronics... I am as guilty as anybody of writing off these cars but I think i am going to actually go look at a few with an open mind to see what I may have been missing... One of my friends bought the Kia sport utility and I am quite surprised with the quality of it...

Well, they're better than the old Excel, that's for sure. However, they are still near the bottom of long-term quality (Kia is AT the bottom). If I were ever in the market for that type of car, I'd definitely spring the extra grand or two to get a Toyota or Honda.

BennyM
05-01-2004, 01:26 PM
(Kia is AT the bottom).

Ever heard of the military expression K.I.A. ? I personally wouldn't want to ride in or drive a car who's initials stand for Killed In Action. Besides, Daewoo is truly at the bottom.

winfred
05-01-2004, 08:18 PM
for cheep boring useful built like a brick shithouse transportation it's hard to beat a 89 and newer 240 volvo, 91 and up have a better ac (it'll cool on r134, the old ones didn't do well even on r12) score a nice one for $3-5k put a grand or less into it to bullet proof it and drive the hell out of it. i got the grandparents a 91 almost 2 years ago and they've put 50k miles on it, and love it, i added a lock up converter tranny from a 740 volvo and they get 30-40 mpg on the interstate

Rick L
05-01-2004, 09:57 PM
Those old Volvo with bulletproof engines are something… They have 1 Million Mile Club for these cars. One of my friends’ parent have an older Volvo (1992) and it has 312k miles! There is a guy from New York with over TWO MILLION MILES! Check the link below:

http://www.carpages.co.uk/volvo/volvo_p1800_12_08_02.asp?switched=on&echo=417036032

http://www.volvomom.com/archives/000110.html

for cheep boring useful built like a brick shithouse transportation it's hard to beat a 89 and newer 240 volvo, 91 and up have a better ac (it'll cool on r134, the old ones didn't do well even on r12) score a nice one for $3-5k put a grand or less into it to bullet proof it and drive the hell out of it. i got the grandparents a 91 almost 2 years ago and they've put 50k miles on it, and love it, i added a lock up converter tranny from a 740 volvo and they get 30-40 mpg on the interstate

andyman32
05-01-2004, 10:05 PM
I'm planning to get 2 million miles out of our '98 S70. :D

Only 1,962,000 miles left to go!

Now, at the average usage rate of 3,000 miles per yer... it should only take... hmm...

winfred
05-01-2004, 10:30 PM
wouldn't hold my breath on that 5 banger going that far, i am not impressed with the b52xx series motors, heres my favorite point, the main bearings don't have grooves which means the rod bearings only get a shot of oil once every rotation of the crank. get synthetic in it and service the pcv system every other oil change, they hide the flame trapp on the back side of the intake boot by the throttle body on the non turbo. that will hold off oil leaks that come from forgetting the trapp (the insert is like a buck at the dealer) and it's vacuum hose/nipple being plugged

I'm planning to get 2 million miles out of our '98 S70. :D

Only 1,962,000 miles left to go!

Now, at the average usage rate of 3,000 miles per yer... it should only take... hmm...