PDA

View Full Version : Tire for regular driving?

Drooby
04-29-2004, 11:53 PM
What brand of tires is recomended for regular all day driving.
No track use but I'd love to feel the difference in handling/noise level.
On the car now is a set of Yokohama C260 ( i think)
And I would to buy a tire with a resonable tread life.

price is a factor too but I'm not too conservative , I figure around $100/tire would get me something decent.

feedback please ......

dave b
04-30-2004, 12:06 AM
I've had my Michelin MXV's for over 48,000 miles and the tread is still pretty good. I'll probably pick up a new set this summer.

Little to no road noise, and no issues whatsoever. In all those miles, I've only had to balance them twice.

They are pricey - about $125 a piece + all those little fees to get them on.

Drooby
04-30-2004, 12:26 AM
Forgot to mention I have the stock 15" wheels. ( 205/65/15)
I am also thinking of getting the 225/60/15s from what i heard they will help in the handling but whats the downside ( there has to be one ... right?)
Will the MXVs work on 15" wheels?
My yoko's have exacytly 50k on them now , but i bought the car only 3k ago so i have no way of comparing anything.

I will rely mostly on the post

thanks for the feedback .
other opinions are appreciated ....

warton
04-30-2004, 12:39 AM
I've had my Michelin MXV's for over 48,000 miles and the tread is still pretty good. I'll probably pick up a new set this summer.

Little to no road noise, and no issues whatsoever. In all those miles, I've only had to balance them twice.

They are pricey - about $125 a piece + all those little fees to get them on.
Bloody things just won't wear down... and it's not like the e34 is a feather-weight car, nor do I drive it conservatively.

Peter

Drooby
04-30-2004, 01:28 AM
Bloody things just won't wear down... and it's not like the e34 is a feather-weight car, nor do I drive it conservatively.

Peter

OK but how do they handle on 15s
consumer rating on them is low:2.5/5

http://www.epinions.com/auto-Tires-All-Michelin_Energy_MXV4_Plus_XSE/display_~reviews

how about xradials or hydroedge michelins?

JohnC
04-30-2004, 02:55 AM
i had the bf goodrich comp t/a back when i was on 15s. quiet and great ride but still pretty sporty. if you go to the 225/60s it kinda gave it the micky mouse car look. but i loved them did tons of tirespins and donuts in parking lots, my 2.5 could only break them loose in the wet or gravel though. and still did not see any signs of wear so i sold them to my neighbor to put on his is e23 i think the first gen 7s. but hes been driving on them for the past 2 years and they still look good. ph yea i got a free gtech pro when i brought them :D tried getting some more BFGs for my 17s but they cost too much once i got past the more common tire sizes.

Hallmark
04-30-2004, 08:15 AM
They have great traction for a street tire, very quiet, and at 25k I'm about midway through the tread. I got them at Discount Tire for $70 plus mounting and balancing etc.
BTW, the match balancing is an extra $10 a tire and is very well worth it.

YMMV-IMHO-FDIC-MOUSE :)

dave b
04-30-2004, 08:46 AM
My Michelins are on the stock 15s.

Drooby
04-30-2004, 09:17 AM
My Michelins are on the stock 15s.

Dave, what kind of michelins and how do they perform ?

Unregistered
04-30-2004, 09:50 AM
Michelin HydroEdge.

Go on the Michelin website and see what they say about the comparative merits of all of their tires, esp. MXV and HydroEdge. HydroEdge comes out best in most respects, especially for wet traction and quiet. 85,000 mile warranty. With coupon, a little more than $100 with mounting and lifetime balancing at Costco.

I put a set on my old Ford, and definitely plan another set for my 535i as touring tires, due to quiet ride and superb wet traction.

Drooby
04-30-2004, 10:58 AM
So far my best recomendation ( an from consumer survey's are)

YOKO AVS DBS2
Continental - CONTIEXTREMEContact
Michelin Energy MXV4 plus -( a bit pricy though )

SO whats the difference between Touring tires and performance tires ..
I would say performance tires "outperform" but touring tires give a more comfortable ride..Am I Right ?

Drooby
04-30-2004, 11:46 AM
Michelin HydroEdge.

Go on the Michelin website and see what they say about the comparative merits of all of their tires, esp. MXV and HydroEdge. HydroEdge comes out best in most respects, especially for wet traction and quiet. 85,000 mile warranty. With coupon, a little more than $100 with mounting and lifetime balancing at Costco.

I put a set on my old Ford, and definitely plan another set for my 535i as touring tires, due to quiet ride and superb wet traction.

I dont see anyone recomending Hydroedge for BMW's ??
Even at the tireRack website , there are no reviews for them from BMW owners .Even though Michelins ratings are the highest for these tires.

632 Regal
04-30-2004, 01:01 PM
I have the conti extream tractions on my car, they are real quiet and smooth. I do notice they flat spot after sitting for at about 45 minutes and dont get round for about 3 miles. That might be shorter in warmer weather and they might not flat spot in warm weather. Tricky to balance if the car sits for any time before they get it in the air.

Drooby
04-30-2004, 02:57 PM
I have the conti extream tractions on my car, they are real quiet and smooth. I do notice they flat spot after sitting for at about 45 minutes and dont get round for about 3 miles. That might be shorter in warmer weather and they might not flat spot in warm weather. Tricky to balance if the car sits for any time before they get it in the air.

I was hoping you'd reply Jeff.

How many miles do they have on them now and what does there tread look like?

Russell
04-30-2004, 05:09 PM
I put the Bridgestones on about 7,000 miles ago. No problems, smooth, quiet and extremely good in the rain and no issues this winter in ice and snow. I also have traction control. I commute each day in this car.

What brand of tires is recomended for regular all day driving.
No track use but I'd love to feel the difference in handling/noise level.
On the car now is a set of Yokohama C260 ( i think)
And I would to buy a tire with a resonable tread life.

price is a factor too but I'm not too conservative , I figure around $100/tire would get me something decent.

feedback please ......

Dick Schneiders
04-30-2004, 06:38 PM
wheels. They were 225/55/16's. They are just as Russell says, and did work well on icy and snowy Kansas roads. For an all purpose, inexpensive tire, I have not found anything better.

I put the Bridgestones on about 7,000 miles ago. No problems, smooth, quiet and extremely good in the rain and no issues this winter in ice and snow. I also have traction control. I commute each day in this car.

dave b
04-30-2004, 06:50 PM
Dave, what kind of michelins and how do they perform ?
MXV Energy Plus. Standard size. Performed excellently in both wet and dry conditions.

Super90
04-30-2004, 08:36 PM
One word: "Pilots"

They are great tires. Had mine for about 40-50k mi. now and lots of tread left. Get the H rated and not the V or Z , they last longer.

DueyT
04-30-2004, 08:38 PM
Hallmark, did you say they charged an extra $10/tire for match balancing? That's BS...all you have to do is make sure the fluorescent green sticker on the bead is lined up with the valvestem! That sounds like a rip-off!

Jeff, how do you like the ContiExtremeContact's? Nice tire, hunh? Like I mentioned in a previous thread, if I were going with an "all season" tire (to include "W"inter driving) the ExtremeContact would be it! SportContact2's are great now that the snow has buggered off! These tires make it hard for the rear to break loose (yes...even with ASC+T turned off :p )

Drooby, if you're talking summer only performance tire, SportContact2's are the meow-meow's behind! :D

Cheers,
Duey

p.s. 255/40-15 SportContact2 on left, 205/65-15 Avon TurboGrip winter on right.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/dnatown/540wntr1.jpg

John in Nova Scotia
04-30-2004, 09:48 PM
Good to hear all the positive comments on the MXV4 plus since I just put a new set on today. First impressions are very good. Had to take it on the highway as soon as I picked it up and they are very quiet.

John in Nova Scotia
89 535ia

Unregistered
04-30-2004, 10:44 PM
OK, if MXV Energy is the hands-on favorite, NOW go on the Michelin website and see what Michelin says about its Energy versus its HydroEdge. Also take note of what Michelin says about durability. I seem to recall the Costco guy said the MXV Energy had little or no mileage warranty, whereas HydroEdge has 85,000 mile warranty. Why would Michelin do that?

Someone earlier noted there had been no consumer ratings of HydroEdge. That is probably because this tire was just introduced onto the market, so not enough people have tried it yet.

I have not tried the Energy, but went to Costco to buy a set. However, after looking at Michelin's comparative data (especially noise, because I HATE tire noise), coupled with mileage differences, it seemed a no-brainer to buy ~$100 HydroEdges instead of ~$145 Energys. I am very happy with the HydroEdges as an ~80 mph touring tire on local wet & dry road surfaces in the Northwest, and plan to buy another set for the Bimmer. Just a thought you may wish to consider.

winfred
04-30-2004, 11:39 PM
i remember reading about the 1st energy's, they came on accords, i don't know what the compound is now but when it 1st came out they were designed for very low rolling resistance, and had a low amount of carbon black in the compound compaired to normal tires. long story short carbon black gives tires enough conductivity to bleed off the static electricity that the car builds up, people in toll booth states were getting zapped big time (5-6" bolts of electricity)

John in Nova Scotia
05-01-2004, 03:23 PM
They don't give the MXV4 plus a mileage warranty because they are performance tires. If you take a good look at the website you will notice that hydroedge are listed under traditional luxury and the MX's are listed under performance luxury. None of the tires in the performance luxury class carry a specific warranted mileage warranty. The rating for quiet ride on both are a 10. I think that both are terrific tires though. A friend of mine works at the local Michelin plant and he said that when the compound was originally introduced in passenger tires they were given a lifetime warranty but were wickedly expensive. I guess there were some problems with the quantity of the compound that they were using in the tire so the amount in the new one's is considerably less.

John in Nova Scotia
89 535i

632 Regal
05-01-2004, 03:42 PM
Compared to the Unieggs these things are awesome. One seemed out of round so I picked up a couple rims getting prepared for my Buddy Chris at discount tire (auburn hills). took about 2 hours of him dicking around before I just told him to get me another f#$in tire man. its not a bad vibration but I know its there so I want to start with a decent set.

The flat spotting freaked me out at first, thought my lugs were loose but read that these tires do that for a couple miles after sitting. The last set of egg shaped tires i put about 10k on so they werent bald or at the end of their lives so its a good comparison and the Conti's definetly win in the noise/ride catagories. I dont beat the piss out of my car by any means so I couldnt tell you about comparing the handeling charactoristics. Will have to see how good these are in winter, so far I think I would buy them again but not from discount tire until Chris leaves. Tire rack has them for a lot cheaper but I dont know how it works if any are defective, I dont get lucky with tires.

I was hoping you'd reply Jeff.

How many miles do they have on them now and what does there tread look like?

632 Regal
05-01-2004, 04:06 PM
Conti-Extreme footprint

http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/us/en/continental/automobile/themes/pc_tyres/performance/conti_extreme_contact/benefit_en.html

bighc2000
05-01-2004, 06:45 PM
I am pretty happy with my Kumhos on E31 rims. Great in the wet and dry, quiet and grippy. 65 bucks each is cool too.