PDA

View Full Version : H&R or Vogtland? Also new bumper stops

dauchande
02-20-2007, 12:10 AM
Which, I'm leaning towards the H&R's. I have BavAuto's (yes I know, I didn't research before I bought them) with Bilstein Sports.

Recommended bumper stops? I read an article where Dinan was saying they are the most important part of the suspension.

Thx

pundit
02-20-2007, 12:25 AM
Eibach!

BigKriss
02-20-2007, 01:21 AM
H&R are pretty stiff. good for cornering. Bump stops are not important. just get some slightly smaller aftermarket ones, or cut the OEM ones. How can they be the most important part of the suspension? the suspension is made up pf very many components.

Rick L
02-20-2007, 07:35 AM
Go with Eibach!!! I have Koni Sport Adjustable with Eibach set and love it! :D

dauchande
02-20-2007, 10:30 AM
Go with Eibach!!! I have Koni Sport Adjustable with Eibach set and love it! :D
Yeah, but I don't have Koni shocks, I have Bilstein Sports. Are they going to work well with the Eibach springs?

dauchande
02-20-2007, 10:39 AM
H&R are pretty stiff. good for cornering. Bump stops are not important. just get some slightly smaller aftermarket ones, or cut the OEM ones. How can they be the most important part of the suspension? the suspension is made up pf very many components.
Sorry, I misquoted this, I should have said that it was the most important part of the shock tower in order to make the car drive as if it were stock, but with lowered springs/shocks.

This is based on an article I read on the design of Dinan's shock towers. He was saying something about how the bump stops were important for making the car drive more stock when using aftermarket springs and shocks. In the short search at work, I couldn't find the article (I hope I saved a copy at home). I'll try again tonight to see if I can find the article.

632 Regal
02-20-2007, 12:26 PM
http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=21412&highlight=bumpstops+short+story

i also have a thread regarding the Billie sport shocks that kept going bad.

s_ribbens
02-20-2007, 04:00 PM
I debated between Eibach and H&R for a long time. I ended up getting some Eibachs. Haven't installed them yet however.

Blitzkrieg Bob
02-20-2007, 04:41 PM
Vogtlands are rumored to be soft like the bavautos

H&Rs are stiff

Eibachs are the goldielocks of the springs, not too sodt not too stiff......just right.

dauchande
05-20-2008, 11:15 PM
Sorry, I misquoted this, I should have said that it was the most important part of the shock tower in order to make the car drive as if it were stock, but with lowered springs/shocks.

This is based on an article I read on the design of Dinan's shock towers. He was saying something about how the bump stops were important for making the car drive more stock when using aftermarket springs and shocks. In the short search at work, I couldn't find the article (I hope I saved a copy at home). I'll try again tonight to see if I can find the article.
Sorry, it's been a long time. Here's the article...http://www.dinancars.com/assets/File/press%20pdf%202.pdf

BigKriss
05-20-2008, 11:21 PM
no worries mate, cheers :)

Sorry, it's been a long time. Here's the article...http://www.dinancars.com/assets/File/press%20pdf%202.pdf

632 Regal
05-21-2008, 07:41 PM
I have H&R, not stiff at all but I have the V8 up front. The Billies made the ride so unbearable that the Billies puked inside themselves. Replaced with Sachs/bogue and the ride is much nicer AND i have NOT bottomed the stops since. Just a better shock/strut. As for cutting the stock stop PM me and Ill post my old thread on how to do it.

H&Rs are stiff

Eibachs are the goldielocks of the springs, not too sodt not too stiff......just right.

takumidrift30
05-22-2008, 01:41 AM

H&Rs are stiff

I concur. I have Vogtlands installed in my Audi and not really happy with them. I have Eibach-boge combo on the E34, very satisfied.

repenttokyo
05-22-2008, 09:18 AM

bilsteins have internal bumpstops.

AngryPopTart
05-22-2008, 11:52 AM
I just pulled the H&R's from the parts car we had but it has factory shocks on it. That's fine for now since my left front is blown out and such and the bump stops don't exist anymore, but when the time comes to replace the shocks, what goes with the H&R?

BMWE34.net says:

Moderately stiff ride: H&R springs with Boge.
Moderately stiffer ride: H&R springs with Bilsteins Sports/HD.

632 Regal
05-23-2008, 04:57 PM
Sachs/Boge

I just pulled the H&R's from the parts car we had but it has factory shocks on it. That's fine for now since my left front is blown out and such and the bump stops don't exist anymore, but when the time comes to replace the shocks, what goes with the H&R?

BMWE34.net says:

Moderately stiff ride: H&R springs with Boge.
Moderately stiffer ride: H&R springs with Bilsteins Sports/HD.

mamilapon
05-24-2008, 01:02 AM
bilsteins have internal bumpstops.
I second that! Just did mine and only needed stops at the rear! Besides I cant see any room for stops on the front units, i run Billies HD's.