PDA

View Full Version : VIN Sticker on engine block??

Rigmaster
04-29-2004, 09:53 PM
Guys,

what is the standard location (if any) of the VIN sticker on the engine block ('92 or '93 525i). I ask because I just pulled the engine out of a '92 525i that I am parting out, and I noticed a few strange things- like the fact that it seems to have VANOS (!!) and the head casting date is '93... Just trying to figure out what the mileage might be on this motor (thought maybe I could run a Carfax on the engine VIN if I could find it!!)- since I got very few repair records with the car. I did a compression test before pulling it and it was good- 175-190psi across all 6 cyls. Also, when I pulled the oil pan off today- the bottom end is VERY clean.

If anyone is in the market for an M50 with single VANOS, let me know- I would let this one go to a new home for a good price.

Thanks, Bret
Raleigh, NC

Bill R.
04-30-2004, 08:05 AM
bottom of the block on the intake manifold side 3/4 of the way to the back...

Guys,

what is the standard location (if any) of the VIN sticker on the engine block ('92 or '93 525i). I ask because I just pulled the engine out of a '92 525i that I am parting out, and I noticed a few strange things- like the fact that it seems to have VANOS (!!) and the head casting date is '93... Just trying to figure out what the mileage might be on this motor (thought maybe I could run a Carfax on the engine VIN if I could find it!!)- since I got very few repair records with the car. I did a compression test before pulling it and it was good- 175-190psi across all 6 cyls. Also, when I pulled the oil pan off today- the bottom end is VERY clean.

If anyone is in the market for an M50 with single VANOS, let me know- I would let this one go to a new home for a good price.

Thanks, Bret
Raleigh, NC

winfred
04-30-2004, 08:29 AM
sometimes the little white sticker falls off, theres usually one on the head and tranny too, generally on the left side