PDA

View Full Version : header back exhaust

alexander525
02-19-2007, 01:52 PM
so it seems all the custom exhaust systems are insanly expensive. i need to find myself a cheaper solution without sacrificing power. my ideas where just get my mufflershop to bend me all the pipe and remove the cat. keep the stock resonator than attach it to a cheap aftermarket muffler. the question i have is about the duel pipes. if i was to use a Y-pipe and connect them into one bigger pipe. how would that go? do you think it would throw off the exhaust flow balence and just nerf abunch of power. or would this be a better and cheaper way to go? any thoughts?

AngryPopTart
02-19-2007, 06:54 PM
i need to find myself a cheaper solution without sacrificing power.

Did you actually install headers on your 2.5l? It seems to be common consensus that the factory 2.5 exhaust does not benefit from any changes as it is already non-restrictive, but I have seen figures which showed 525's which were factory equipped with cats saw as much as a 4hp loss in comparison to those not equipped with cats. IIRC, even adding actual headers does not necessitate exhaust mods. I think in the 525's case, it's all for bling's sake.

IMO this is the difference between buying a cheap economy car which can actually benefit from even the simplest of mods and buying a factory fast car.

justinp95
02-19-2007, 07:08 PM
IMO theres no use for the dual exhaust. When i do my exhaust it will Y pipe to one after the cats. You just want to make sure you dont go with a pipe that is to big or you will loose power.

DanDombrowski
02-19-2007, 08:34 PM
Although theres probably a good bit of weight reduction by going to some SS tubular headers vs the cast iron boat anchors in there now.