PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion for the forum

Jon K
02-19-2007, 08:45 AM
Hey all,

As you may or may not know, I run a forum myself. I, long ago, tried this feature out which was very convenient but unfortunately crapped out because my database was lost. However, this is the idea I have and I think it'd be nice around here:

A section of the forum for maintenance records - what I mean is an area private to only your user name or public if you wish, that you can post your car maintenance frequency (ie. i just did brakes at 193k) so that its on a system other than a local one. I format my computer so often and ALWAYS forget to back up my maintenance spreadsheet, so i thought something like this would be nice.

I know some of you keep a personal record, and I try to, but it's nice if I can just hop on .info and pull up my post about my maintenance and have it searchable (like any post) etc.

What say you?

DanDombrowski
02-19-2007, 09:31 AM
I like the idea. I don't know anything about databases online, but I ended up using a template for Microsoft Access to track my maintenance, and its been working really well. Are you thinking of something like that that has a web interface?

BigKriss
02-19-2007, 10:41 AM
you can just put all that **** into the gallery section under you car.

filip00
02-19-2007, 10:45 AM
not a bad idea. i have the complete maintenance list on my computer though :)

JesterE34
02-19-2007, 10:46 AM
kinda like a "garage" online?

my local scene forum has a garage section where you can list mods, shop time etc. i'm sure you could throw repairs into it as well.

Macv
02-19-2007, 11:00 AM
Sounds like a good idea. Could we use it for more than just our 5's? I just picked up my e30 and could use a refreshed way to record maintenance.

John B.
02-19-2007, 11:49 AM
Since I'm currently maintaining 11 family vehicles not counting the mower & snowblower I prefer to keep maintenance records in a loose leaf written log. This log never crashes, goes down for maintenance or suffers a hard drive failure wiping out years of notes. I can also open it faster & my greasy fingers don't foul a keyboard when I do.

markus
02-19-2007, 07:41 PM
i just write the date of whatever i did on the manilla folder which i keep my receipts in.

JesterE34
02-19-2007, 11:03 PM
i use excel/similar spreadsheet program of one's choice

Gayle
02-20-2007, 12:08 AM
Since I'm currently maintaining 11 family vehicles not counting the mower & snowblower I prefer to keep maintenance records in a loose leaf written log. This log never crashes, goes down for maintenance or suffers a hard drive failure wiping out years of notes. I can also open it faster & my greasy fingers don't foul a keyboard when I do.

Want to adopt me? You would never notice one more.

John B.
02-20-2007, 08:06 AM
Want to adopt me? You would never notice one more.

One more car? Maybe not, but my wife would definitely notice another women. Actually there are 3 other cars & a couple more motorcycles but I only counted the vehicles currently running & insured. Squeezing in another E34 could be tough.

DanDombrowski
02-20-2007, 09:13 AM
Man, I hear that. My girlfriend is getting pretty sick of seeing my entire families cars sitting in our driveway. At one point, I had our garage, the driveway, and 3 guest parking spots filled with cars.

Since the girlfriend actually required less maintenance than those clunkers (believe it or not), I try not to take on so many charity jobs.

brosher
02-20-2007, 11:04 AM
I am using docs.google.com

That way I can access the records at work or home. I prob make/share a template if anyone wants it.

Here is what it looks like. You can see I have tabs for different cars at the bottom:

http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/3230/mainlq4.jpg

John B.
02-20-2007, 11:51 AM
Man, I hear that. My girlfriend is getting pretty sick of seeing my entire families cars sitting in our driveway. At one point, I had our garage, the driveway, and 3 guest parking spots filled with cars.
Since the girlfriend actually required less maintenance than those clunkers (believe it or not), I try not to take on so many charity jobs.

My wife doesn't really complain as she gets to drive or ride whatever I drag home. She's pretty happy with her "new" Touring & loves motorcycles as much as I do. Space is becoming a problem even with 3 20'X50' buildings especially since we started kayaking last year. You can only hang so many bicycles & boats from the rafters before it becomes a dangerous obstacle course.