PDA

View Full Version : M30 Dual Chambered Oil Sprayer Bar

shogun
02-18-2007, 10:38 PM
http://www.cscoupe.org/tech/spray_bar_fix/70590.html

632 Regal
02-19-2007, 12:00 AM
Umm... this guy is pinching the cam spray bar completely closed. I dont think anyone wants to do that!

http://www.cscoupe.org/tech/spray_bar_fix/70590.html

gale
02-19-2007, 10:51 AM
Well, yes and no. Since there are 2 feeds, the rear banjo will supply the back half and the front banjo will supply the front. Can't see that any advantage is gained, it's still the same amount of oil feeding the lobes. All the pinched spraybar mod does is guarantee that if the banjo feeds are unequal, then either the front or rear discharge will be starved. I'm thinking one would be better off with the stock setup (with safety tie wires on the banjos) and personnally I wouldn't bother with the pinch mod.

ryan roopnarine
02-19-2007, 11:02 AM
what the hell is that? that's like putting a leash on a cat by tying one to (its) tail.

John B.
02-19-2007, 11:54 AM
From reading the info at Metric Mechanics website I believe they feel that the design of the stock bar fails to provide adequate oil to the front of the cam. It has nothing to do with the bolts loosening, they have seen the front lobes of the cam wear prematurely & devised the mod to insure that both ends of the cam get sufficient lubrication.

Robin-535im
02-19-2007, 12:16 PM
All the pinched spraybar mod does is guarantee that if the banjo feeds are unequal, then either the front or rear discharge will be starved.

Tend to agree with Don... there's a safety margin built in when they are coupled, assuming that the front holes aren't clogged. One might thing about opening the front holes up a tiny tiny bit, but this would have to be done with caution so as not to starve the rear!

George M
02-19-2007, 04:02 PM
Well, yes and no. Since there are 2 feeds, the rear banjo will supply the back half and the front banjo will supply the front. Can't see that any advantage is gained, it's still the same amount of oil feeding the lobes. All the pinched spraybar mod does is guarantee that if the banjo feeds are unequal, then either the front or rear discharge will be starved. I'm thinking one would be better off with the stock setup (with safety tie wires on the banjos) and personnally I wouldn't bother with the pinch mod.
+1
Also agree with Don on this. The pinched tube mod has been around for quite a while. I elected not to do it on my big six. If your motor is set up properly the stock bar will distribute oil fine....my cam was still in good shape for example at 150k miles. One note however...a while back I did purchase safety wire drilled banjo bolts from my evil twin (Don) and believe that safety wiring the banjo bolts on these engines is a worthwhile precaution....for even guys like like us that will pull the valve cover more then average to adjust the valves :p
George

John B.
02-19-2007, 05:02 PM
I installed the replacement banjo bolts with the threadlock coating soon after I got my car. Checked them after 15k when I did the valve adjust last summer & they were still tight.

shogun
10-10-2011, 03:50 AM
some more pics here on same subject
BMW 730i Maintenance - Modifying the Cam Lobe Lubrication Spray Bar (http://paulaxford.com/html/bmw730i/cam_spray_bar.htm)

genphreak
10-14-2011, 06:57 PM
Maybe under extreme acceleration (think 900Hp + Kugelfischer turbo coupe) and huge braking, the front and rear lobes may run short.

Not sure the oil sprayer bar can be short on oil during idle, IIRC it is under considerable pressure at all times, even more at speed. It'd have to be dribbling out at idle, which it doesn't: the theory that the oil runs downhill and leaves the front dry is beyond me.

These engines are well thought about in the first place. And in the long run, after having been in production longer than almost any other auto engine, and having been regularly tweaked and updated by the industries best engineers... there is just no way this can be true.

I doubt think this mod would help at all. Also, it is not a good idea from the point of view that two feeds provide a redundant oil supply in the case of one clogging.

632 Regal
10-20-2011, 05:49 AM
want to bring up old threads? Might bet me back for fun.