PDA

View Full Version : Intermittant TRANS PROGRAM code

semiretired
02-18-2007, 05:38 PM
Got the Trans Program error this morning. The beast sorta chugged like water was in the fuel line, then the error message popped up. Chugged two or three times then ran normal. Was only a mile from home so I turned around and took the Benz.

Ran codes with the Peake Tool. Nothing came up.
Started the beast again and ran it all day without any codes or problems.

Is is possible to have an intermittant Trans Program Error? Had the Tranny serviced two years ago. Gonna call to see if I can get it done sometime soon.

av8r
02-18-2007, 06:57 PM
What other symptoms did the car have if any?

I had almost the same experience a few days ago. There are alot of things to check before taking to someone.
95 530I, 1975 C-172M

semiretired
02-18-2007, 08:39 PM
What other symptoms did the car have if any?

I had almost the same experience a few days ago. There are alot of things to check before taking to someone.
95 530I, 1975 C-172M
No other symptoms.
Going to drive it to work tomorrow. Got my fingers crossed

shogun
02-18-2007, 09:55 PM
Check the battery voltage.
Too low voltage can also cause such problem.

semiretired
02-19-2007, 01:16 PM
Check the battery voltage.
Too low voltage can also cause such problem.

Well, recently I removed the MAF and cleaned it out real good.

Upon reconnecting the MAF, the beast wouldn't start... Finally after cranking the heck-fire out of the engine, it sputtered, started, then ran normally.

I'm wondering if this drained my battery down some. Plus I read over in the Bently forum that when the MAF is disconnected the TRANS PROG appears.

http://tech.bentleypublishers.com/thread.jspa?forumID=67&threadID=5871&messageID=27137#27137

WTF?

av8r
02-19-2007, 01:59 PM
I have run the car with the MAF disconnected and never got the error.
do you have bently manual for your car?
If you do check the battery for charge.

George M
02-19-2007, 03:55 PM
Got the Trans Program error this morning. The beast sorta chugged like water was in the fuel line, then the error message popped up. Chugged two or three times then ran normal. Was only a mile from home so I turned around and took the Benz.

Ran codes with the Peake Tool. Nothing came up.
Started the beast again and ran it all day without any codes or problems.

Is is possible to have an intermittant Trans Program Error? Had the Tranny serviced two years ago. Gonna call to see if I can get it done sometime soon.
The trans control module may have aging/failing solder joints. I know some have successfully resoldered theirs. The other thing is the serial connector to the trans maybe slightly corroded...di-electric grease is your friend on these and other cars. Lasty, these cars and others don't like low voltage...many bogus failures/codes will show up. Check the batt voltage, and make sure your alternator is kicking proper EMF. On old cars, a bad ground can be a culprit as well.
HTH,
George

JoshsE34-M50
02-19-2007, 09:06 PM
You may want to unsnap the black plastic cover (box) on the pass. fender well and check the "fuse" (link) that the + battery cable runs to. These seem to develop hairline cracks (causing intermittant probs.) before they finally break all the way through. (Unbolt the link and look at it closely). I made a new one from thick copper.