PDA

View Full Version : How much do your service receipts total?

Regardful
02-18-2007, 08:19 AM
I purchased my first BMW, 1991 525i M50, from the original owner, and was given a stack of service/maintenance receipts that totaled over $22,500, excluding oil changes, and some that were in German. This prompted me to wonder if others have added up their receipts as well, and what the totals are?

Regards

Russell
02-18-2007, 11:45 AM
About right. I spend about $1,500 to $2,000 a year on my car for maintenance and repairs. I do much of my own repairs such as brakes, plugs, oil changes etc. This included " car cosmetics" and tools.

It is very good to find a one owner car with records. Great job. I found a almost perfect one owner vehicle with 72,000 miles. Unfortunatly, they threw out the records. With their help I was able to track most of them down.

95///M3
02-18-2007, 06:57 PM
Over 30k. 91 m5.

SharkmanBMW
02-18-2007, 07:52 PM
94 540,
previous owner had over $18k CAD into it in about 4 years, included about $4k in paintwork, a passenger side mirror and paint + install - over $1100 - the rest was the "Stealer" special.... go in for an oil change and then they call you you with a list of other parts they want to change... every visit was about $750.

BigTed00
02-18-2007, 07:57 PM
about 1500 in the first year of ownership so far, mostly brake jobs and valve adjustments

Gayle
02-18-2007, 08:04 PM
About 2k a year the 5 years we owned my husband's 90 525 (2000-2005). That was just repairs--no mods, but preventative maintenance was not in his vocabulary. It was the same for my pampered low miles e30 convertible. I hear other people with later bmws talking about $1700 brake jobs, so I have this theory that it takes $2k a year to keep any bmw out of warranty on the road.

I am throwing silly money at my 535 and not even counting. What I have put into pales it by comparison to what the prior owner spent on mods for it.

ThoreauHD
02-18-2007, 10:05 PM
About $10,000+ the first year here. Bought it for 7K and repaired everything including replacing the A/C, shocks, springs, all fluid/filter, new tires, new brakes and rotors, door actuators, radiator, front strut stabilizer bar, turner conforti ecu chip, door molding, stereo, windshield glass, etc.

I pretty much repaired it until not one thing peeped. But I expected to do this. I left the thing at indy's and dealer's for weeks goading them into making it perfect and telling them to not half-ass it. And some I did myself.

It's been sitting in a garage for the past 6 months and taken out maybe once a weekend. And believe it or not, I still have to get the power window panel center cosole and all door actuator locks sorted out- they freaked out recently maybe because of the cold/salt/water. In any case, I've spent as much on this car as I would on a new toyota- but mine is just as new, twice as powerful, and faster than **** on your heel. Oh, and the E34 is the coolest looking street legal BMW that I know of.

College kids or teenies without Daddy support that want to buy this car will soon learn that they can't afford it. It's just the timing of it. These cars are a decade and a half old. Any car this age, you will have to factor in that everything rubber and everything that grinds will need to be replaced. So anyhow, that's my story.